Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

machine auth failure

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  machine auth failure

Posted Oct 19, 2018 09:45 AM

Hi All,

I have a customer who has a setup which has stopped authenticating windows laptops. I can't determine what if anything has changed on the network but I guess something must have. From the client point of view I see the EAP-Request then the EAP-response from the controller. When running a packet capture (controlpath) on the controller I see RADIUS packets being formed but no response from the RADIUS server. I can't determine at the moment whether the RADIUS packets are leaving the controller port. Running the aaa test-server command proves that server is reachable and shared secret is configured correctly. The 3400 controller is configured with a loopback address and it is running 6.3.1.8.

The RADIUS server is configured with an IP not a hostname.

Any Ideas?

• 2.  RE: machine auth failure

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 19, 2018 09:48 AM
    What is providing the Radius functionality?

• 3.  RE: machine auth failure

Posted Oct 19, 2018 09:52 AM

MS NPS server is the RADIUS server.

• 4.  RE: machine auth failure

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 19, 2018 09:56 AM
    Start with the NPs server to see if there are any logs from the EAP traffic. Since the controller AAA test works (which uses PAP, not an EAP protocol), it could be that the allowed authentication methods have changed.

• 5.  RE: machine auth failure

Posted Oct 19, 2018 10:22 AM

Hi Thanks, Ive done that but I'm told there are no events on the NPS server. The same machines are authenticing in another building on a Ruckus wireless network pointing to the same RADIUS server. So I've backtracked to the controller end to try and TS there.

• 6.  RE: machine auth failure

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 19, 2018 12:22 PM

Has this ever worked before?

• 7.  RE: machine auth failure

Posted Oct 19, 2018 10:04 AM

Does the NPS work for other authentications like user authentication (PEAP)? Or are you only using machine auth?

My point being check if the Radius Server cert is still valid, I know a few times this have expired and caused havoc.