Wireless Access

Highlighted
Guru Elite

Re: mesh link unstable

No.  It probably means you had the access points too close together.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Central Documentation
ArubaOS Consolidated Release Notes
Aruba Technical Webinars
Highlighted
Regular Contributor I

But they haven't moved since setting them to a single channel and now they seem stable?

Highlighted
Guru Elite

You should deploy them where they need to be and report back.  Having them too close is not a good variable no matter what channel configuration you use.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Technical Webinars
Highlighted
Regular Contributor I

Unfortunately the reverse is the reality, they can't be deployed until we have sorted this issue out first. We have a reputation to consider. Currently the customer has an old Cisco mesh which is rock solid and the Aruba solution is not viable with confidence in its stability so low. Having tried this with a separation of at least 8m with the devices in separate rooms without success points to another issue that we need to identify.

Highlighted
Guru Elite

We are just guessing based on what you tell us.  Jhoward also mentioned why it is not good to have them too close, in detail.  Please engage someone who is experienced in deploying this solution so they can look at your physical setup to ensure that something is not blocking your deployment.

Is having two mesh access points in different rooms when bonding channels a good test for mesh stability? No.  Not many mesh solutions at distance even use bonded channels.  Please engage someone sort this out for you, because there are so many ways to go wrong with this.

ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Technical Webinars
Highlighted
MVP Expert

8m in clear line of sight is still really not far enough away. Without knowing your environment, interference and existing wireless in the area, etc, it's impossible to know what exactly is causing your issue. Wider channels means it's more susceptible to interference primarily, and in smaller quarters can cause higher degrees of self interference.

In no case ever is an indoor same or next to same room deployment a valid 'test' of any vendor's outdoor performance characteristics (be it Aruba, Ruckus, Cisco, etc). Older legacy mesh devices don't have the same issues because the radios aren't as sensititive and channels are not as wide. Other vendors may not be as bad because their radios aren't as sensititve to being overdriven or in general don't have the same Rx ratings. But in nearly every case you want sensitive radios for outdoors and it's a different environment than indoors.

The bottom line is you need to get them outdoors to truly assess their capabilities and derive performance characteristics. We know from direct experience as we have hundreds (or more) of mesh deployments using 275s and other 27x families at ranges up to 3-5km that are rock stable and working without any issues. If you cannot assess the link stability in your existing environment, you will need to quantify all RF in your test environment, make sure it's 100% clean, keep the RSSI/SNR of the mesh link below 40, and start small and work your way up (20Mhz, then 40, then try 80).

From there, if you still have issues, reach out to me directly (PM here or email me at jhoward@) and we can look at your controller logs, and see if there's a local account team that can come help. Good luck!

Jerrod Howard
Distinguished Technologist, TME
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor II

Hi all,
i'm in a scenario not so different, and i think that all your suggestions will help me. Thank you all for that.
But.. I've just one more question.
There are some RADAR EVENTS even if there is no radar around here.. anyway: i would like to try some non-DFS channels: 36 40 44 48
Those channels are marked as indoor (but APs are outside, of course) : does it means that transmission level will be at 20db and not at 30db (i'm in Italy).

Thank You Gain,

N

Allowed Channels for AP Type 105 Country Code "IT" Country "Italy"
------------------------------------------------------------------
802.11a (indoor)      36 40 44 48 52 56 60 64 100 104 108 112 116 120 124 128 132 136 140
802.11a (outdoor)     100 104 108 112 116 120 124 128 132 136 140
802.11a (DFS)      52 56 60 64 100 104 108 112 116 120 124 128 132 136 140

Highlighted
MVP Expert

What channel are you running it at now? I think the take away is to run indoor channels outdiirs may violate your ETSI regulations. However, depending on the channel you are on, you may be able to move it to a different DFS channel that is outside of the weather radar range (if that is indeed where you are at). 

Jerrod Howard
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor II

Hi,
thank you for answering.
Unfortunately, time after time, all the channels i've tried were marked (at least one time) for RADAR.
This is a reason to use indoor frequencies..
I don't think that the is a radar near the site, but i was not able to find out what is the origin of those problems.. Maybe a Radio Amateur......?

One more thing that maybe it's important, is that if the switch from a frequency to the other one is "fast", maybe could be acceptable.. But at the moment sometimes happen that the remote AP reboot, waiting for the MESH...

Thank you for the support,

N

Highlighted
MVP Expert

You can try an indoor. Also make sure that you are running the latest software in case there were changes to the trigger thresholds. But otherwise, TAC.

Jerrod Howard
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: