Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

migration of rap 203r-rw to aos 8.6 fails

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  migration of rap 203r-rw to aos 8.6 fails

Posted Jul 03, 2020 04:38 AM

Hi,

we're in the migration process of aos 6.5 to 8.6.  When migrating our first rap model 203r-rw, thus provisioning the rap with the new public ip address (and pointing it to a new ap group on the new environment) we noticed this fails.  We never see the rap popping up on the new aos 8.6 environment. 

When resetting the rap, and pointing it manually to the aos 8.6 environment, it does connect without any problem.

Does anyone have an idea?  I unfortunately do not have a serial cable to connect to the rap (seems usb like connector so seems proprietory).

The mac address of the rap was whitelisted manually (i did not 'import' a bunch of mac addresses).

• 2.  RE: migration of rap 203r-rw to aos 8.6 fails

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 06, 2020 04:18 AM

I have in the past seen similar with 6.x APs unable to direct upgrade to 8.x APs, but never investigated as it was just two RAPs. Please reach out to Aruba Support if you haven't yet.

• 3.  RE: migration of rap 203r-rw to aos 8.6 fails

Posted Jul 06, 2020 09:08 AM

Experienced something similar and found CPSEC was enabled and the RAP didn't work with PSK but once I tried with Factory Cert for auth, it worked. (Used IAP-105(RW) and IAP-315(RW) to convert to RAP.

• 4.  RE: migration of rap 203r-rw to aos 8.6 fails
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 06, 2020 09:59 AM

Hi,

figured out what the issue was today.  Firstly, the ap group 'ap system profile' contained lms settings (default they are empty).  I had to assign a new profile containing default empty settings.

Then i noticed a second thing.  You can't assign a rap to a new group and at the same time assign it a new master controller public ip address.  So i had to assign the ap group first.  Let it reboot.  And then assign it a new master controller public ip address.

• 5.  RE: migration of rap 203r-rw to aos 8.6 fails

Posted Jul 06, 2020 10:06 AM

Hi,

Are you sure this is working as no AP/RAP should ever terminate on the master controller and should rather be IP of mobility controllers.

• 6.  RE: migration of rap 203r-rw to aos 8.6 fails

Posted Jul 06, 2020 10:14 AM

Yes, i have the rap on my desk and it's broadcasting the ssid's

Maybe i should have been clearer.  The rap terminates on a public ip which is nat'ed to the private ip of a mobility controller.  

In the provisioning page you specify a 'Master Controller IP Address/DNS name'...