Wireless Access

last person joined: 9 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

mobility domains between controllers

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  mobility domains between controllers

Posted Nov 04, 2016 03:31 PM

I have the following topology:

master/local pair with vrrp

16 campus controllers - LMS Pri=self ip and Backup LMS=master/backupvrrp

I have one district site that is in a building across in a different building and get alot of complaints regarding roaming/reauth between locations.  I was looking at the mobility domain setup but it looks like it only works if the controller is managed by the master and in this case it is only a lms backup.  Is there any alternative for roaming between different controllers/vlans.  Thanks

• 2.  RE: mobility domains between controllers

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 05, 2016 10:03 AM

Is roaming supposed to work between locations, or does that happen because the power is too high?  If roaming is supposed to work, you could have both locations terminate user access on the same layer 2 VLAN.  If not, consider reducing maximum TX power in the ARM profile so that it does not overlap.  A last resort is to configure the local-probe-request-threshold parameter in the SSID profile under Advanced, so that weak clients do not associate to your access points.

You are right that mobility is expected to work in the same master/local cluster because the configuration occurs at the master controller.

• 3.  RE: mobility domains between controllers

Posted Nov 05, 2016 10:47 AM

My issue is that the buildings don't allow for seamless roaming and I as under the impression that the mobility domain would allow for user auth caching of sorts.... My problem is that the complete re-auth creates application instabilities when going between buildings (different vlans).  Maybe terminating all aps on one controller would help in some way.  I need to dig deeper but appreciate any suggestions.  Thanks

• 4.  RE: mobility domains between controllers

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 05, 2016 11:44 AM

Designing for all APs to terminate on the same controller in the same roaming domain would be the best solution.  Everything else would just be a band-aid, really.