Wireless Access

Highlighted
Contributor II

[mobility master] Configuration Hierarchy best practices

Hey everyone,

I'm in the process of migrating our single controller setup to a mobility-master + controller cluster setup and I'm wondering is there any best practice document on how to layout the configuration hierarchy?

At the moment we have only one location with a controller and we have a remote AP at a small remote office but in the future we hope to grow more.

In my initial setup I did /city/location but now I think maybe I should add country at the root.

Should AP groups be created at the location level or should they be known at a higher level? If they are known at a higher level will this allow other controllers to act as remote controllers for them should local controllers fail?

Also when RAPs are in use where do they fit into the design?

Thanks!

Highlighted
Guru Elite

Re: [mobility master] Configuration Hierarchy best practices

First rule:

Create a folder under MD and that is where you begin your configuration that will be shared by everywhere.  Do not configure anything besides a folder at the MD level.  If you need to configure something completely different, you would create another folder at the MD level that is different configuration-wise from your production folder.

You have a small company; you don't have to configure continent>country>city or whatever.  Don't bother.  Folder configuration is abstract and used to divide administrative domains or regional configuration boundaries.  For a smaller company, you can configure everything in one folder and use ap-groups to separate your configuration.

If you are migrating, I would configure everything from scratch on ArubaOs 8.x so you can get the hang of configuration and administration, instead of using a migration tool....  You can always use ap-move from the old to the new infrastructure, as long as ap-groups of the existing aps exist on the new (8.x infrastructure).

Good luck and ask questions here so that others who have experienced it can answer you.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Video Knowledge Base
Remote Access Point Solution Guide
ArubaOS Consolidated Release Notes
ArubaOS 8 ViA VPN Solution Guide
Highlighted
Super Contributor II

I would just add that your AP groups should be exactly the same (case sensitive).

Dustin Burns
Senior Mobility and Access Engineer @WEI
ACMX #509 | ACCX #1272 | ACSA | ACDA | ACEA | CCNP | CCDP | CCNA Wireless

If my post address your queries, give kudos and accept as solution!
Highlighted
Contributor II

Thanks for the replies!

I assume the recommendation of adding at least one directory under md is to allow for future flexibility?

Also if we know that we have current small unmanaged location that may develop into full fledged offices doesn't in make sense to already layout the structure that way?

Is it possible to "copy"/"duplicate" a directory?

ie. we decide we do need to add another directory for a location because there are different DNS/RADIUS/NTP/etc. settings there but we still want all the same WLANs to exist there.

As far as I can tell I can only create/delete directories but not duplicate them.

Highlighted
Guru Elite

Future flexibility without being locked into anything configured there is the key, yes.

You can copy the contents of a folder, but only on the commandline using "configuration node"

https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/CLI-Bank/Content/aos-cli/conf-node.htm?Highlight=configuration%20node

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Video Knowledge Base
Remote Access Point Solution Guide
ArubaOS Consolidated Release Notes
ArubaOS 8 ViA VPN Solution Guide
Highlighted
Contributor I

Hi,

i had a question to the recommendation 

Do not configure anything besides a folder at the MD level

Unfortunately i read to late about that recommendation. And i had done many configuration on the top level / root.

What is the best way get rid of all these configuration changes, because i can't remember all of the changes. Is there a way to set the config changes of the top level to factory defaults? 

With "show configuration effective detail <node-path>" can i see what is inherited from the root, but i don't know, what are default values and what are my changes.

Maybe someone could post the config-file of a factory default installed Mobility Master. Thanks a lot!

Highlighted
MVP Guru

I don't have a factory default MM configuration file to hand. However, if you check out the CLI Guide for the AOS8 version in question, it lists the default value for each CLI command.

ACMP, ACSA, ACDX #985
If my post addresses your query, give kudos:)
Highlighted

"show configuration effective" shows the effective config that is set at the node you are currently on, from the current node along with any nodes above it.

"show configuration committed" shows the commands that have been entered at the specific node you are currently on. Unfortunately, any settings that are there from the default settings are in there along with the commands that you entered. However, this may help you see what commands were made at that node, and maybe you will remember some of the changes that you made.

If you really want to play, you could build a new virtual MM, by itself, login to it, and run the command on it and compare it to what you have on your MM. Otherwise, I have not seen any way of seeing what you set at MD level vs what you system set as defaults.

I hope this helps,

David
Sr. Trainer and Author of "Understanding ArubaOS: Version 8.x" book

--Give Kudos if you found something helpful, important, or cool.
--Problem Solved? Click "Accepted Solution" in a post.
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: