Wireless Access

last person joined: 13 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

multiple user roles within captive portal ssid

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  multiple user roles within captive portal ssid

Posted Nov 07, 2012 07:12 AM

what are the possibilities of multiple user roles within one captive portal ssid? when i provision a user being the guest provisioning user they become user role guest by default, is this changable? is this overwritten by the default guest role on the captive portal profile anyway?

when i create a user as admin i can select a role, does that have an effect with a captive portal ssid or is it overwritten?

• 2.  RE: multiple user roles within captive portal ssid
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 07, 2012 08:12 AM

The default server group used in a captive portal profile is "Internal".    This group has a server derived rule that states:

set role condiction role value-of

When a guest account is created in the internal database through the provisioning portal, they have a role of guest by default (I don't think you can change this); thus the server derived rule above will put them in the guest role (this overwrites the default roles in the profile).    I usually create a new "internal" server without this rule and use it on captive portal profiles.  This way you can use the default roles in the captive portal profile itself to dictate role assignment rather than everyone getting "guest".

If you create the accounts through the Internal DB outside of the provisioning portal, you can specifiy a different role; and if the above rule is in place, they will get that role; however if you remove the above rule, they'll get what is assigned in the CP profile for default roles.  Alternatively, you can use other source for your user accounts; CP Guest, AD, other DBs and use server derived rules to assign varous roles.

• 3.  RE: multiple user roles within captive portal ssid

Posted Nov 07, 2012 09:45 AM

of course, thank you.

i got the best of both worlds by creating the rule that changes role guest into what i want it to be and a second rule that does keeps the other roles as they have been set.

how to make such a default value-of rule as it exists on the default server group via the GUI, the keyword "role" doesnt seem to exist in the list and when i fill it in no line is added. via the CLI i can get it done, but via the GUI it doesn't work.

• 4.  RE: multiple user roles within captive portal ssid
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 07, 2012 01:16 PM
      |   view attached

Just type in Role in the attributes field, select "value-of" and select "set role"   and click Add/Apply/etc....

See attached JPEG

• 5.  RE: multiple user roles within captive portal ssid
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 09, 2012 08:06 AM

yes it indeed took that, im quiet sure i tried that before and it just dissapeared. ah well, issue solved.