Wireless Access

This community is currently in a read-only state due to a maintenance window. For more info click here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor II

Re: multiple vlan on captive portal issue

189 clients can resolve DNS, 188 clients cannot.

Highlighted
Guru Elite

@tgillon wrote:

189 clients can resolve DNS, 188 clients cannot.

Okay.  The .188 clients, what is the default gateway, the controller?  Are those clients allowed outbound on your perimeter firewall?

Does your internal network have a route to the controller for that subnet?

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Video Knowledge Base
Remote Access Point Solution Guide
ArubaOS Consolidated Release Notes
ArubaOS 8 ViA VPN Solution Guide
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor II

you have two dns servers one for each vlan, is not it ?

dns-server 10.25.0.120 

and

dns-server 10.125.0.20

just for testing can you try and use the same dns-server for vlan 88 as vlan 89 which should be

dns-server 10.25.0.120 , just to verfiy that the problem is not from the DNS server

Highlighted

default gateway for 188 clients is 10.188.0.2, which is one of 5 controller IP addresses (10.xxx.0.2)

default gateway for 189 clients is 10.189.0.2

yes my internal network can ping all 5 controller IP addresses

As I mentioned in my original post, all of the individual VLANs work when they are the only VLAN configured, I tried all 4 and clients got the auth page and accessed the internet.

Highlighted
Guru Elite

We need to figure out why your clients cannot resolve DNS, because that is crucial.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Perhaps if I put in the correct DNS server address, it would work.  DOH!  I'm going to test adding 2 more VLANs and see if it works.  Thanks for the help, I'll let you know how I make out.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor II

We will be waiting for your next reply :smileyindifferent:, if you managed to solve it do not forget to choose the correct solution to give an indication of solved issue or adding the solution that used to solve the issue.

Highlighted

That was the problem, wrong DNS address.  I now have all 4 VLANs active on the captive portal and I have offloaded the DHCP server to an internal server.  Thanks for the help!

Highlighted
Guru Elite

Nice!

ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Highlighted
Super Contributor II

Hi, Joseph,

Hope you are doing good. I was going through with some old post to searching about NATTing and i come to know the following..

You also need to be careful, because the controller's internal DHCP server is only rated for 512 DHCP leases maximum. After that you might have to use an external DHCP server to serve your addresses.

Please advice will this be still valid or capacity of internal DHCP server has now been increased.

Thanks
Thanks & Regards
Syed Murad Ali
ACMP ACMA CCNA
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: