Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

outdoor point to point wireless setup bridge suggestions

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  outdoor point to point wireless setup bridge suggestions

Posted Nov 16, 2016 10:47 PM

hi,

looking for model number of outdoor AP's needed to support line of sight distance of 700 feet. anyone know what antennas i should use, AP's, cabling, for outdoor, then indoor AP's, controller (if needed), switches, for support of up to 200 people?

thanks,

Al

• 2.  RE: outdoor point to point wireless setup bridge suggestions

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 16, 2016 10:57 PM

You need JUST recommendation on a PtP to carry 700 users across the bridge, or you need indoor AP recommendatins as well? If you need outdoor, a pair of IAP-277s with injectors (if you don't have 802.3at LLDP switches to use) is all you need (no antennas, etc). 

if you need indoor AP recommendation, you will need to prvide more data (size of coverage area, indoor or outdoor coverage, how big is the space, ceiling height, floors plans are best noting areas where you can install, etc.

• 3.  RE: outdoor point to point wireless setup bridge suggestions

Posted Nov 16, 2016 11:21 PM
    Thanks Jhoward for the response. The outdoor ptop is 700 feet between blogs. So if the 277s are it great! I was wanting to confirm no additional external yagi antenna were needed for that distance.

As for internal wireless the 2 bldgs. Are 2 floors, each with 20000 sq feet, std ceiling height 10' feet I believe users spread across square footage and we have telecom closet on each floor that will reach roof.

Please let me know what indoor AP's you can suggest that work with the 277s and if I need some type of POE from external to internal equipment.

Thanks,
    Alffy40

• 4.  RE: outdoor point to point wireless setup bridge suggestions

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 17, 2016 01:02 AM

2 floors in each building, each floor being 20k sq ft (so 80k sq ft total) or each building is 20k sq ft?

• 5.  RE: outdoor point to point wireless setup bridge suggestions

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 17, 2016 09:17 AM

If both buildings are going to have APs located inside them you will want to use a controller to manage your WLAN since you have a mesh link (or if you want to use instant you can but the mesh link will have to be on a different L2 subnet than your indoor APs). Then figure approx 2500-3500sq ft per AP for a basic coverage modelmodel (so per 20k sq ft is approx 6-8 APs), but this is highly dependent on the layout of the floor and the interior floor plan.