Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

pinging campus AP from different subnet

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  pinging campus AP from different subnet

Posted Feb 20, 2013 01:06 PM

as far as i know when you ping a campus AP from a different subnet with control plane security turned on it will route the traffic back via the controller. is there any way to change this behaviour?

how do you go about monitoring specific APs via ping or don't you use such monitoring?

• 2.  RE: pinging campus AP from different subnet

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 20, 2013 01:14 PM

Boneyard,

In theory you could monitor access points via ping, but that goes back to days when access points were expected to have static ip addresses.  These days, access points can boot with any ip address from any location and still come up when the network is dynamically changed around them.  The controller monitors which ip address an access point has an maintains a heartbeat to determine who is up and who is down.  That eliminates the management overhead to maintain a static ip address table offline.  Changing the network that an access point is on is also simplified.  Since the controller maintains the ap name to dynamic ip address mapping, as well as provide feedback as to if the access point is communicating with it, polling the controller via snmp or receiving access point up/down traps is the best way to monitor access points.

• 3.  RE: pinging campus AP from different subnet

Posted Feb 20, 2013 02:00 PM

i should try it myself first, but still going to ask, can you with snmp check on the status of a specific AP? if i would snmp walk it then i would get to the AP table with up / down status?

• 4.  RE: pinging campus AP from different subnet

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 20, 2013 02:00 PM

Yes, by polling the controller.

• 5.  RE: pinging campus AP from different subnet

Posted Feb 20, 2013 02:56 PM

ok, thanks cjoseph, going to do some SNMP walking when i can.