Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

"UCC Quality" in Dashboard

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  "UCC Quality" in Dashboard

Posted Mar 28, 2016 07:42 AM

Hi all.

I've been monitoring the calls made by IP phones (Cisco 792x) in our voice Wifi under the "UCC" menu in the controller Dashboard and there is something that it's puzzling me. In the column "UCC Quality" the majority of the calls are tagged as "Unknown"  and the rest as "Good" or "Fair":

2016-03-28 12_35_14-Dashboard.jpg

I don't really understand why some calls are marked as Unknown quality. As far as I could review the different parameters of the calls, there is no a pattern making the "Unknown" to appear: it occurs for every ip phone, as the "good" or "fair" qualities, and appears independently of the Health of the device and the state or termination reason of the call and the rest of the parameters of the call. It simply happens that "Unknown" appears in the vast majority of the calls in the same cases as "good" or "fair" can appear.

According to http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_64_Web_Help/Content/ArubaFrameStyles/Voice_Video/Lync_ALG.htm, 

"Unknown: Voice or desktop-sharing sessions that do not originate or terminate on the home controller is categorized under Unknown call quality."

All the session should and appear to originate in the local controller, so it's intriguing for me that the quality is being marked as Unknown and it seems not having much documentation about that. Any idea?

Regards.

• 2.  RE: "UCC Quality" in Dashboard

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 28, 2016 08:05 AM

Do you have AMON enabled on your Aruba Controller and pointing at Airwave?  The Airwave/Aruba best practice guide here:  https://support.arubanetworks.com/Documentation/tabid/77/DMXModule/512/Command/Core_Download/Default.aspx?EntryId=14097 says that you need AMON to get full UCC info:

ucc.png

• 3.  RE: "UCC Quality" in Dashboard

Posted Mar 28, 2016 08:21 AM

Hi!

Yes, I have AMON enabled and with data being forwarded to Airwave. Anyway, the Unknown UCC Quality appears consistently both in the Dashboard of the controller itself (is from where I captured the image that I pasted in the first post) and in Airwave, too:

2016-03-28 14_19_46-assccair00s.jpg

Regards.

• 4.  RE: "UCC Quality" in Dashboard

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 28, 2016 08:23 AM
    You should absolutely open a TAC case, so they can look into your issue in detail.

• 5.  RE: "UCC Quality" in Dashboard

Posted Mar 28, 2016 08:50 AM

Thanks for the advice. I'm gonna open a case, definitively.

Regards.

• 6.  RE: "UCC Quality" in Dashboard

Posted May 04, 2016 02:56 AM

Hi all.

At the end the problem appears to be in having "voice real-time-config" disabled in the controller:

#show voice real-time-config

Configure Real-Time Analysis
    ----------------------------
    Parameter Value
    --------- -----
    Real-Time Analysis of voice calls Disabled

You can enable it (that must be done in the Master controller, the change will propagate to the local controller) with

#configure t

(config) #voice real-time-config

(Configure Real-Time Analysis) #config-enable

#show voice real-time-config

Configure Real-Time Analysis
    ----------------------------
    Parameter Value
    --------- -----
    Real-Time Analysis of voice calls Enabled

With this the calls starts to be classified also as "Fair" and "Poor" and less frequently as "Unknown".

Regards.