Wireless Access

last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

"show interface descriptions" command

This thread has been viewed 18 times
  • 1.  "show interface descriptions" command

Posted Mar 13, 2015 02:56 PM

Do the mobility access switches have anything like the 'show interface descriptions' command? I know that 'show interface status' will give you a truncated port description and sometimes that's enough to go on, but to just be able to see the labels you've applied to ports is a big time-saver when you're troubleshooting and need to know what's connected to a certain port. Maybe someone has already submitted a request for this in an upcoming firmware rev?

• 2.  RE: "show interface descriptions" command

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 13, 2015 02:58 PM

<removed: misread>

• 3.  RE: "show interface descriptions" command

Posted Mar 16, 2015 09:21 PM

It isn't perfect but:

show interface | include "is admin,face is"

• 4.  RE: "show interface descriptions" command

Posted Mar 17, 2015 12:23 PM

Thank you!! That's good information. I was able to take the command you gave and tweak it just a little to get what I'm looking for (I changed it to:

show interface | include "GE,face is"

That did the trick! Appreciate the help.

• 5.  RE: "show interface descriptions" command

Posted Sep 04, 2018 01:40 AM

Try the "show name"

• 6.  RE: "show interface descriptions" command

Posted Sep 04, 2018 07:49 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, but there is no 'show name' command in the CLI for the Aruba Mobility Access Switches. There is for the HP-branded equipment - we have 5412 and a 5406 - and I use 'show name' frequently on those. I wish the MASs had it, but at last check they do not.

The best I've been able to come up with is this:

show running-config | include "/0/0,**"

This only works because when I put in a description for an interface, I always put a couple of asterisks at the beginning and end of the description, i.e.:

(Aruba MAS) (config) #interface gigabitethernet 3/0/0
    (Aruba MAS) (gigabitethernet "3/0/0") #description "**Drop M-207, Rm. 230**"