Wireless Access

last person joined: 14 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

replacing a 7220 in cluster

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  replacing a 7220 in cluster

Posted Nov 29, 2018 09:52 AM

Hello airheads,

We've had one of the three 7220 controllers in our three-controller cluster die. Replacement is on the way. Is there a simple way to replace the old one with the new one in my MM? I'm trying to make this as simple as possible. Any help or best practices appreciated.

-Mike

• 2.  RE: replacing a 7220 in cluster

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 29, 2018 01:51 PM

You can:

- Backup the configuration of the old device by changing directories to the old device, typing "show configuration effective".  Save that output.  That will save the node-specific info for the failed node.

- Delete the old node

- Create a device or node for the new node, change to the directory of the new node and paste in the output you saved above.  You of course would need the wired mac of the new controller.  You would also have to remove the previous node because if you want to re-use the ip address of the old node, the MM will not allow you to paste in the same ip address for two nodes

- Join the new controller using the controller startup wizard either using the console or the GUI.

- After a couple reboots, the md should show up when "show switches" is run from the MM.

- You will have to manually add that controller back to the cluster.

Those are largely the big steps you would need to add the controller back.

• 3.  RE: replacing a 7220 in cluster

Posted Nov 29, 2018 02:00 PM

Good info, thanks.

After adding it back into the cluster, I would like to balance the load a bit. I know that I can use apmove for APs. Is there a way for me to balance the client count across the cluster?

• 4.  RE: replacing a 7220 in cluster

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 29, 2018 03:08 PM

It balances the load, but slowly.