Wireless Access

last person joined: 11 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

rf management

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  rf management

Posted Jun 30, 2017 04:06 PM

I'm in a k12 environment with 5 sites, 350 ap's (205,205h,215), and a 7210 controller.

An ap in every classroom and down the halls.

I want to just enable 2.4 mainly on the ones i the hall.

What is the easiest / cleanest way to accomplish this?

Tom

• 2.  RE: rf management

Posted Jun 30, 2017 05:22 PM

I'm curious as to what you're hoping to accomplish with this division.

If I were going to do it, I'd make a group for the 2.4 only access points and then set the radio profiles to force 2.4.

• 3.  RE: rf management

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 30, 2017 06:38 PM

The "easy" way would be to have the ap-groups that all of your APs in, the radio profile for 802.11g would be set to disable.  You can then create a radio profile that has 802.11g enabled and use the AP-Specific setting to apply it to radios where you want the 2.4ghz band.

On a side note:If you have APs in each room you would not put any APs in the hall, because it would create too much cochannel interference.  Typically there is enough RF to cover the halls where fewer people would be...

• 4.  RE: rf management

Posted Jul 11, 2017 03:06 PM
      |   view attached

So create a group for 5ghz and another for 2.4 per site?

Ie my primary school has 63 radios (in group CPS) and I want to run 2.4 only on 40. Make a CPS_24 group that has a rf profile for both radios and turn off 2.4 on the other group?

Aruba was given the maps and this is what they came up with. That is the down side of vendors "placing" aps. They want to sell you as many as possible. 

Attached is a map of one of my halls. Squares are 205h and circilars are 215.

• 5.  RE: rf management

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 11, 2017 03:30 PM

If "Aruba" came up with the design, you should continue to work with them on the rest of the design, quite frankly.  We are just guessing what would be best based on the limited information in your post.

Why do you only want 2.4ghz band in hallway access points, and maybe we can come up with a solution?

• 6.  RE: rf management

Posted Jul 11, 2017 03:39 PM

Rf management with minimal interference.

How does 19 radios in that short distance work without major interference on 3 channels?