Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

rf-optimization profile - the deprecated options.

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  rf-optimization profile - the deprecated options.

Posted Aug 30, 2012 09:12 PM

Hi,

The rf-optimization profile, has several options deprecated, since its introduction from 3.0 to 6.1. 

Now, in 6.1 we have the following & all other features have been deprecated. 

handoff-assist - 

Allows the switch to force a client off an AP when the  RSSI drops below a defined minimum threshold.

Options like

detect coverage holes 

radio interference & STA association failures have been deprecated. How these are managed in the latest version code 6.1?

• 2.  RE: rf-optimization profile - the deprecated options.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 31, 2012 09:13 AM

@yogendrankp wrote:

Hi,

The rf-optimization profile, has several options deprecated, since its introduction from 3.0 to 6.1. 

Now, in 6.1 we have the following & all other features have been deprecated. 

handoff-assist - 

Allows the switch to force a client off an AP when the  RSSI drops below a defined minimum threshold.

Options like

detect coverage holes 

radio interference & STA association failures have been deprecated. How these are managed in the latest version code 6.1?

Handoff-Assist has been superseded by local-probe-response-threshold.

The Dashboard on the front of the Aruba controller now provides information about client radio interference:

dashboad.png

• 3.  RE: rf-optimization profile - the deprecated options.

Posted Aug 31, 2012 11:12 AM

Hi,

Thank you for feedback. 

How is the coverage-hole detection feature that was deprecated in 5.0 managed in 5.0, what is an equalent in 5.0? 

"Coverage hole detection looks for clients unable to associate to any AP or clients that are associating at
    very low data rates or with low signal strength. These symptoms indicate areas where holes in radio
    coverage exist. When the system detects such coverage holes, you are notified of the condition via the
    event log"

• 4.  RE: rf-optimization profile - the deprecated options.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 31, 2012 11:26 AM

The SNR screenshot that I posted above will tell you how many clients have low signal strength, but it will not alert you.

• 5.  RE: rf-optimization profile - the deprecated options.

Posted Aug 31, 2012 12:19 PM
      |   view attached

Thank you for guidance. 

we had dashboard in 6.1, we dont have it in 5.0. how the deprecated options of rf-optimization profile are managed in 5.0? 

what is equivalent to "STA association failure" in 5.0 after it was deprecated in 5.0 ?

detect-association-failure - Enables or disables STA association failure detection. 

I had a chance to check the changes that had gone in to the rf-optimization profile on various version codes. 

Regards,

Attachment(s)

• 6.  RE: rf-optimization profile - the deprecated options.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 31, 2012 01:25 PM

Let me just say that I am not in product management.  I am only speaking for myself.

STA failure association messages only mentioned that stations failed associations and did not provide any more information about WHY they failed, so they were just tons of messagest about clients that failed associations.  Some failed associations are just based on contention that can be just ignored.  Others are for clients that are not even yours, but they were still reported.   So you end up with a long list of station association messages, but no real idea about why and if they were important.  There is normally not enough information from the controller perspective to give more useful information that would help you determine if there was anything you could do about an association failure.

Client debugging provides much more information for you to understand why a client you are interested in, is not working.

• 7.  RE: rf-optimization profile - the deprecated options.

Posted Sep 03, 2012 12:17 AM

Thank you Joseph.