Wireless Access

last person joined: 9 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all
This thread has been viewed 11 times
  • 1.  rogue AP's

Posted Sep 22, 2012 11:15 AM

Hi,

I can see five rogue devices in my controller dashboard, however it seems they are my neighbors AP, how could an AP which is not connected to our lan is shown as Rogue, we use 6.1.3.4 code.

Thanks

• 2.  RE: rogue AP's

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 22, 2012 11:48 AM

Type "show wms ap list | include rogue" to find out what access points are labeled as rogues.

To find out why, type "show wms rogue-ap <mac address>" to get more details on why.

• 3.  RE: rogue AP's

Posted Sep 22, 2012 11:58 AM

That should not happen i guess

You have to first see how that ap was classify as Rogue AP

For this you first would like to know the BSSID

issue the command

show wms ap list | include rogue

You will see the list of ap rogues APS

you retrive the BSSID

then you do

show wms rogue-ap <bssid>

you can post the output maybe we can help you to find out

Cheers

Carlos

edit

Heh i went out a min and the asnwer was already there :) well since i cannot delete my post ill just leave it there..

• 4.  RE: rogue AP's

Posted Sep 23, 2012 09:10 AM

Rogue AP Info
    -------------
    Key           Value
    ---           -----
    BSSID         00:0d:97:08:67:6f
    SSID          amr
    Channel       1
    Type          generic-ap
    RAP Type      rogue
    Status        up
    Match Type    Classification-Disabled
    Match MAC     00:00:00:00:00:00
    Match IP      0.0.0.0
    Match AM      OUR AP

Match Method  N/A
    Match Time    Sat Sep  1 21:13:46 2012

• 5.  RE: rogue AP's

Posted Sep 23, 2012 01:23 PM

Okay thats weird... that match type i never seen before... is not even on the rogue ap guide so i dont know what does that mean....

If i were you i would go to

Maintenaince --->WMS database ---> click on clean old entries

What will do is cleaning all the entries you see on discovered APS incluiding all the rogue aps suspected rogue aps etc etc

I think it will ask you to reboot the controller so save your configuration...

It it appear AGAIN with that classification i would open a support case to see if Aruba tac can help me knowing what does mean that classification

Anyways thats what i would do... you can wait for Cjoseph to see what he says...

Cheers

Carlos

• 6.  RE: rogue AP's

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 23, 2012 02:52 PM

@mgeorge wrote:

Rogue AP Info
    -------------
    Key           Value
    ---           -----
    BSSID         00:0d:97:08:67:6f
    SSID          amr
    Channel       1
    Type          generic-ap
    RAP Type      rogue
    Status        up
    Match Type    Classification-Disabled
    Match MAC     00:00:00:00:00:00
    Match IP      0.0.0.0
    Match AM      OUR AP

Match Method  N/A
    Match Time    Sat Sep  1 21:13:46 2012

That is because you have Rogue AP classification unchecked in the IDS unAuthorized Device Profile.  When you have that unchecked, you are saying that you want to disable classification methods and just mark ALL access points, besides your own, as Rogues.  This is used when you have a space that is totally your own, and you do not expect anything besides your own APs on your controller to be in that space.  Make sure Rogue AP classification is checked so that the normal classification will be used:

class.png

• 7.  RE: rogue AP's

Posted Sep 23, 2012 03:18 PM

Thanks for the info Colllin!

• 8.  RE: rogue AP's

Posted Sep 23, 2012 09:13 PM

Thanks to all, what's that match MAC, why is it all zeros.

• 9.  RE: rogue AP's

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 23, 2012 09:17 PM
    In this situation it does not mean anything. If the ap was discovered on your wired network, that would be the wired mac address discovered for the positive match.

• 10.  RE: rogue AP's

Posted Sep 23, 2012 09:43 PM

I can assume that AP is not discovered in the wired network and no Outsider AP is connected to my network. I wonder how the controller can classify this as a Rogue. Thank you.

• 11.  RE: rogue AP's
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 23, 2012 09:47 PM

If you configure correctly the L3 Rogue detection

This is what it will happen

The Controller will see that Mac address of that AP through the wired and he will see the BSSID(which is the mac address of the AP in the air) he will match it and he will conclude well this is a rogue AP as im looking it on the air and also im looking it through the wired....

Besides that he has other methods to conclude this... you can see all of them in the Rogue AP guide i gave you in the other tread... it is a really useful document...

Anyways if i understood correctly your question which is how the controller classifed that ap as rogue well Collin already explained you  when you got the ap classification unchecked you saying ALL The aps he see they are all rogues... and like Collin said it is a very specific scenario in which you will uncheck that box...

If this answer the asnwer of Cjoseph asnwer your quesiton you should use the accept as solution  button on the answer that answered it.... :)

• 12.  RE: rogue AP's
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 23, 2012 09:55 PM
    It is only marked as a rogue because you have classification unchecked, which means all aps that are not on the controller will be marked as rogues. Please make sure classification has a check in the box, like in the screenshot above. If the ap is NOT on your wired network, it should just show up as interfering after you put the check back in there.