Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

rollback question

This thread has been viewed 14 times
  • 1.  rollback question

Posted Sep 25, 2019 05:52 PM

Hello  i was wondering if i could do the fallowing for a fast rollback if im doing a upgrade 

On maintenance i click on copy files 

Source running config

Destination flash file system: and i put here any name for example runningconfig  (do i need to specify .cfg???? )

This will save me a backup of my running config 

Now let say my  config file got corrupted 

I would  do this depending on which partition i had the old version(if it was the partition 0:0 then:

on the cpboot prompt:

cpboot> bootf 0:0

And also cpboot> setenv cfgfile runningconfig.cfg

cpboot> saveenv

cpboot> reset

This would be only if the problem is that the config file is corrupted or the image got corrupted or doesnt work somehow.   I would go to the last version i had with the old config file.   Besides that i would do my complete flash backup, just like always before doing anything, i mean if everything looks bad and i need to call TAC.

Carlos

• 2.  RE: rollback question

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 26, 2019 01:00 AM

The best way to do an upgrade/rollback is to upgrade the partition OPPOSITE to the one that is running.  To do a rollback you would simply switch the boot partition to the previous partition and reboot.  If the configuration does not look good, you can simply boot from the running configuration that you save.

I don’t agree with using the cpboot menu for anything besides really, really bad problems, really.

• 3.  RE: rollback question

Posted Sep 28, 2019 11:09 AM

Hello Collin

In my scenario i was referring tha the controller doesnt goes up, like something really really bad happened, but i didnt say that on my topic my bad.

Thanks for your asnwer!!

Carlos

• 4.  RE: rollback question

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 28, 2019 02:48 PM

Carlos,

Configuration corruption is very, very rare, and what you did right before it was corrupted will dermine what is done so I cannot speak about it theoretically.

• 5.  RE: rollback question

Posted Oct 01, 2019 07:50 PM

@cjoseph wrote:

The best way to do an upgrade/rollback is to upgrade the partition OPPOSITE to the one that is running.  To do a rollback you would simply switch the boot partition to the previous partition and reboot.  If the configuration does not look good, you can simply boot from the running configuration that you save.

I don’t agree with using the cpboot menu for anything besides really, really bad problems, really.

Does the previous boot partition also contain the last good config from that version? In the release notes I believe it says you can't boot with a newer config file version, and you have to use the previous one. Also it says you have to disable CPsec? Is that required if performing a roll back this way, by just booting to the previous boot partition? Also how does all of this play into an AOS8 cluster? How would you downgrade a cluster of controllers to a previous version if the new version really goes sideways? 

• 6.  RE: rollback question

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 01, 2019 09:05 PM

The configuration is not stored in a partition.  It is avaiable in memory to either partition.

Please put a link to the release notes you are talking about so I can comment.

• 7.  RE: rollback question

Posted Oct 02, 2019 02:01 PM

https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS/8.5.x.x/Default.htm#ReleaseNotes/upgrade/downgrade.htm%3FTocPath%3DUpgrade%2520Procedure%7C_____6

All of the latest 8.2.x, 8.3.x, 8.4.x and 8.5.x release notes have this: 

Downgrading
    If necessary, you can return to your previous version of ArubaOS.
    Before You Begin
    Before you reboot the controller with the pre-upgrade software version, you must perform the following steps:
    1. Back up your controller. For details, see Backing up Critical Data on page 35.
    2. Verify that the control plane security is disabled.
    3. Set the controller to boot with the previously saved pre-ArubaOS configuration file.
    4. Set the controller to boot from the system partition that contains the previously running ArubaOS image.
    When you specify a boot partition (or copy an image file to a system partition), the software checks to ensure that the image is compatible with the
    configuration file used on the next controller reload. An error message is displayed if system boot parameters are set for incompatible image and
    configuration files.
    5. After downgrading the software on the controller, perform the following steps:
    n Restore pre-ArubaOS flash backup from the file stored on the controller. Do not restore the ArubaOS flash backup file.
    n You do not need to reimport the WMS database or RF Plan data. However, if you have added changes to RF Plan in ArubaOS, the changes do not
    appear in RF Plan in the downgraded ArubaOS version.
    n If you installed any certificates while running ArubaOS, you need to reinstall the certificates in the downgraded ArubaOS version.