Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

sending lab AP to lab controller

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  sending lab AP to lab controller

Posted Feb 17, 2015 11:53 AM

Hello all!!

long story short, we purchased a lab controller that we can make changes to without making changes to the main controller. The two controllers have nothing to do with one another. How can I make lab APs peer to the lab controller rather than the main controller, given that aruba-master already points to the main controller? I was thinking maybe along the lines of letting the lab AP register to the main controller, then going into the controller and telling the AP to go to the lab controller by IP?

Thanks!

Russell

• 2.  RE: sending lab AP to lab controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 17, 2015 11:55 AM
    Create an ap system profile with the new controllers LMS-ip and apply it either to the ap group or as an ap-specific setting 

Thanks, 
    Tim

• 3.  RE: sending lab AP to lab controller

Posted Feb 18, 2015 03:42 AM

You can statically define the Master controller ip in AP.

So ap will find your desired controller as a master.

Below is the link to set the master controller in AP from apboot>

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Unified-Wired-Wireless-Access/Tutorial-AP-Boot-Commands/td-p/91734

• 4.  RE: sending lab AP to lab controller

Posted Feb 18, 2015 05:59 AM

Hi Suman,

As per your requirement ( two controllers deployed independently), this solution would work but it is not a recommended one. 

you can use use DHCP option 43 & 60 to achieve this. you configure DHCP pool with option 43 with Lab controller Ip and option 60 with "ArubaAP".

Whenever you want to terminate AP on the Lab controller, connect those APs in the  VLAN where the DHCP pool with option 43 is configured.

Hope you got more clarity on this.

Please feel free for any further query on this.

• 5.  RE: sending lab AP to lab controller

Posted Feb 18, 2015 06:20 AM
    Could you please explain in brief, why that is not a recommended one.
    I would love to hear that.

• 6.  RE: sending lab AP to lab controller

Posted Feb 18, 2015 06:28 AM

Hi Suman,

We are providing the master IP statically means, always AP will look for the same master IP. If we want AP to discover any other master we have change the static configuration hence always dynamic master discovery (DHCP or DNS) is recommended.

Hope i answered your query.

• 7.  RE: sending lab AP to lab controller

Posted Feb 18, 2015 07:19 AM
    I don't think that is big deal, However doing static we are aware of the
    AP IP and can easily track the AP.

• 8.  RE: sending lab AP to lab controller

Posted Feb 19, 2015 11:57 AM

personally i just try to stay away from doing things static. yes in such a lab case the impact is small. but at some point it will cause you extra work that might have been prevented. doing it in a larger scale is even worse.