Wireless Access

last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

spectrum interference

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  spectrum interference

Posted Oct 18, 2016 11:46 AM

I have classrooms with excessive spectrum interferrence. WAPS are in the ceiling, drop ceilings. There are ceiling mounted projectors. Do projectors cause non-RF interferrence and has anyone had workarounds? 

• 2.  RE: spectrum interference

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 18, 2016 11:53 AM

Please show us your spectrum data and that would allow us to narrow down what could be happening here.

• 3.  RE: spectrum interference

Posted Oct 18, 2016 12:06 PM
      |   view attached

attached are random spectrum captures throughtout this particular building/classrooms, each classroom having projectors. and AP are within the projection direction.

Attachment(s)

zip
    Doc108.zip   2.08 MB 1 version

• 4.  RE: spectrum interference

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 18, 2016 12:16 PM

Interference is sometimes avoidable and you have to work around it.

With regards to the projectors, in my humble experience, even if they use wifi, they only cause significant problems if the Wifi is using alot of bandwidth.

With that being said, do you have a problem with clients?

• 5.  RE: spectrum interference

Posted Oct 18, 2016 12:20 PM

There are problems with clients through the campus. I cant for sure say the issues with this articular building but more than likely yes. The spectrum data looks very choppy and the projects pointing in the direction of the WAPs was my first suspetion.

• 6.  RE: spectrum interference

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 18, 2016 12:46 PM

Are these clients that you manage?  What kind of problems, on what kind of SSID.  Spectrum does not tell the whole story.  It could cause some, none or all of the issue.

• 7.  RE: spectrum interference

Posted Oct 26, 2016 11:54 AM

I'm currenlty working through the issues. If projectors are not a common issue with wifi then Im good with that. Thanks !

• 8.  RE: spectrum interference
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 26, 2016 04:03 PM

You might check to see if those projectors are broadcasting an SSID.

That would certainly cause trouble. If there are simply connecting as clients then I would not expect any problems.

Not aware of projectors themselves causing interference.  I suppose it's possible but seems unlikely. If the projectors have a provision for grounding then be sure to make use of it.