Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

stuck in upgrading state

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  stuck in upgrading state

Posted Jan 14, 2015 10:47 AM

AP 225 is stuck in upgrading state while joining to controller. It is not registering. Any clue ?

Sometimes it shows license unavailable though it is available.

Controller model: 7240 version 6.4.2.0

#AP225

• 2.  RE: stuck in upgrading state

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 14, 2015 11:01 AM

I would look at the output of "show log system 50" to see if it has any clues.

• 3.  RE: stuck in upgrading state

Posted Jan 14, 2015 11:04 AM
    You should consider upgrading to 6.4.2.3 , theres been many bug fixes since 6.4.2.0

• 4.  RE: stuck in upgrading state

Posted Jan 15, 2015 06:24 AM

Thanks for your suggestion. I will do that and check.

Meanwhile we have enabled option 43 for serving aruba ap's with ip of controller. But it seems doesnt work. We have converted ip address to hexa decimal value and entered in option 43 value. whether it is correct..?

• 5.  RE: stuck in upgrading state

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 15, 2015 06:28 AM

Viskrish,

What discovery method did the APs use to contact the controller?  It should still work.  You should not change anything.  You should plug a console cable into the access point and look at the output with a terminal to see if they are indeed finding the controller.

• 6.  RE: stuck in upgrading state

Posted Jan 15, 2015 06:36 AM

We want to use DHCP dicovery method. So we enabled option 43. But when we connected ap, it is unable to reach the controller. For testing purpose, i connected my laptop & i am able to ping both controller & gateway. 

Due to this we manually entered the setenv variables & later i could see the ap in controller. It was in Upgrading state. 

show ap database command shown IL flags which represents Inactive & Unlicensed state. This is the new deployment where i just installed 256 ap count licenses. I m surprised to see this as this is the first ap i mount after survey.

• 7.  RE: stuck in upgrading state
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 15, 2015 06:40 AM

What is the output of "show license limits" for that controller?

• 8.  RE: stuck in upgrading state

Posted Jan 15, 2015 06:42 AM

It is updated & in state of 'E' Enabled, 256 count.

I enabled centralized licensing feature coz we run VRRP.

• 9.  RE: stuck in upgrading state

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 15, 2015 06:43 AM

How many controllers do you have?

Is the second controller configured as a local or a master backup?

Which controller are the access points pointing to?

• 10.  RE: stuck in upgrading state

Posted Jan 15, 2015 06:48 AM

Two controllers as Master's in VRRP for redundancy. Ap's are directly terminating tunnels with Masters. No local controllers for this setup. 

• 11.  RE: stuck in upgrading state
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 15, 2015 06:52 AM

If the controllers do not have a master/local relationship or configured as a master/backup master they cannot share centralized licensing.  It takes more than a controller sharing a VRRP with another for centralized licensing to work.  If those controllers have master/local relationship or a master/backup master relationship, centralized licensing works automatically when turned on at the master.  If the controllers do NOT have that relationship, you must configure that relationship manually.  Please see the chapter here:  http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_64_Web_Help/Web_Help_Index.htm#ArubaFrameStyles/New_Licenses/Multi__Network.htm

• 12.  RE: stuck in upgrading state

Posted Jan 15, 2015 07:07 AM

So, i should disable centralized licensing and manually  configure the license servers.

but whether this will resolve my issue..? 

• 13.  RE: stuck in upgrading state

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 15, 2015 07:14 AM

You have a single issue:

Access points are not pointing to a controller with licenses.  You need to take the second controller with no licenses out of the picture until you resolve that issue.  Once that is resolved you can introduce the second controller into the picture.

• 14.  RE: stuck in upgrading state

Posted Jan 15, 2015 07:18 AM

Ok. Thanks. I will disable the second controller as well as centralized licensing option for now and check. Then get back here. Thanks a lot for your help.