Wireless Access

last person joined: 14 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

too many STM_STA_MESSAGE outstanding

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  too many STM_STA_MESSAGE outstanding

Posted Feb 10, 2012 01:13 PM

Hello, Today I started seeing many messages that looked like: 

Feb 10 11:09:15 :400193:  <WARN> |stm|  Dropping associaton request from <Client MAC>: too many STM_STA_MESSAGE outstanding

Any thoughts on this?

• 2.  RE: too many STM_STA_MESSAGE outstanding

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 10, 2012 02:10 PM
    What version of code?

• 3.  RE: too many STM_STA_MESSAGE outstanding

Posted Feb 10, 2012 03:02 PM

• 4.  RE: too many STM_STA_MESSAGE outstanding

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 11, 2012 12:30 AM

Please open a TAC case so that they can get to the bottom of this.

• 5.  RE: too many STM_STA_MESSAGE outstanding

Posted Feb 14, 2012 12:37 PM

Got one going. I'll update as it progresses. Thanks for the look.

• 6.  RE: too many STM_STA_MESSAGE outstanding

Posted Feb 14, 2012 03:03 PM

We're seeing the same thing here running 5.0.3.1. Please post more if you learn more. Thanks!

Feb 14 13:14:17  stm[1711]: <400193> <WARN> |stm|  Dropping associaton request from <client MAC>: too many STM_STA_MESSAGE outstanding
    Feb 14 13:14:17  stm[1711]: <400193> <WARN> |stm|  Dropping associaton request from <client MAC>: too many STM_STA_MESSAGE outstanding

MIke DIckson

Umass Amherst

• 7.  RE: too many STM_STA_MESSAGE outstanding

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 14, 2012 03:48 PM

@mldickson wrote:

We're seeing the same thing here running 5.0.3.1. Please post more if you learn more. Thanks!

MIke DIckson

Umass Amherst

MDickson, please open a TAC case, as well.

• 8.  RE: too many STM_STA_MESSAGE outstanding

Posted Feb 21, 2012 07:04 PM

Here is what I have learned:

1. The issue follows the access points meaning when I terminate the access points on a different controller (L2 stays the same) the issue shows up on the new controller.

2. It does not appear to affect all users. Rondomly sampling associations in an AP group shows about 20% affected.

3. Aruba TAC says one other customer is affected. After one week I have no other information from TAC.

• 9.  RE: too many STM_STA_MESSAGE outstanding

Posted Feb 22, 2012 02:33 AM

Hi Scott,

I am not sure whether the TAC engineering working with you informed this or not but this is what I read on the case comments: "When there is a disturbance on the wireless network and clients start associating and disassociating quickly, the large number of association requests received could cause the stm notification queue to get full for very short times. During such times, any 'assoc req' received will get dropped and a log like the one in question get fired. However, such event is not serious, as the client wireless driver will resend another association request in a matter of milliseconds."

If you have more questions, I would recommend going through the same TAC engineer, as your ticket is already open.

Thanks

• 10.  RE: too many STM_STA_MESSAGE outstanding

Posted Feb 22, 2012 06:41 PM

That's more info then I've gotten in a week of asking the TAC engineer for an update. Thank you! On the wireless side I agree it does not seem to be a big issue for the clients. We have logged thousands of these over a few minutes, more then once a day. We also believe that whatever is causing these events is having a negative impact on our DHCP infrastructure, at least it looks that way from a timing perspective, which is why I am trying to chase down the root cause of these events. What you are saying makes sense to me, the queue gets backed up and these events are a symptom of that back up but the queue eventually sorts itself out and the client retries. Any idea what kind of disturbance could do that or where I should look to try and track it down? Again, thanks for your input and the update!

• 11.  RE: too many STM_STA_MESSAGE outstanding

Posted Feb 23, 2012 12:06 AM

Most common reason I could think of is, in case your APs are randomaly rebooting or bootstrappiing. From CLI enable mode, run "show ap bss-table" and chekc the total-up-time field. Also run "show ap debug counters" and check for # of reboot and bootstraps. 

• 12.  RE: too many STM_STA_MESSAGE outstanding

Posted Feb 27, 2012 03:59 PM

I'm not seeing tons of bootstraps or reboots. One thing I am noticing is lots (as in thousands) of failed authentications coming from a small percentage of devices. Think that could be related?

• 13.  RE: too many STM_STA_MESSAGE outstanding

Posted Mar 02, 2012 04:33 PM

Cleared up the devices that were misconfigured and trying to automatically connect to the wrong networks and still logging the message.

• 14.  RE: too many STM_STA_MESSAGE outstanding

Posted Mar 03, 2012 02:53 PM

Not sure what is happening here. As you have TAC ticket opened, I would let TAC find out about this. 

I hope this is not service impacting.Right?