Wireless Access

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

two 7030 controller HA deployment

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  two 7030 controller HA deployment

Posted Feb 18, 2019 09:06 AM

Hi guys, I am about to start a new deployment of two 7030 controller and 38 X 303AP.

I am confused about the HA deployment models.

It seems that master-local model will not be fitting as I am only have two controller so it have to master-master (active- standby)

I want to review with you the configuraiton tasks:

1- when initiall configure each controller, select "master"

2- configure a VRRP group

3- configure master-redundancy

4- apply license on the primary controller

also , is the VIP of the above configured VRRP will be given to APs in DHCP option 43 or there is additional VRRP groups. ( and what is VMC and is it needed in my case or not?)

Thank you.

• 2.  RE: two 7030 controller HA deployment

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 19, 2019 08:03 AM

1.  Yes.

2. VRRP config Yes, but on the first controller, first.  Make sure it has a high priority.  Then configure the second controller and give it a lower VRRP priority.

3.  Configure Master Redundancy on the first controller first, because whatever controller has control over the master-vrrp will overwrite the global config of the controller with the lower priority VRRP.

4.  Yes, and enable centralized licensing if you are running ArubaOS 6.x

Yes, point the dhcp option 43 to the VRRP ip address so that they will always discover the active controller when the AP is cold booted.

• 3.  RE: two 7030 controller HA deployment

Posted Feb 19, 2019 09:15 AM

Thanks alot.

But I am still confused about the need of cluster configuration like in the following video:

https://youtu.be/5PCuiXjwmzE?list=PL3X8SjFLL-gWwdk4HXM5iBYfxl1QsoeGV

In this video, a cluster and another VRRP has been created .

• 4.  RE: two 7030 controller HA deployment

Posted Feb 19, 2019 10:02 AM

Clustering is an AOS 8 feature. Are you using 6.x.x or 8.x.x?

• 5.  RE: two 7030 controller HA deployment

Posted Feb 28, 2019 04:03 AM

I am using 8.x.

• 6.  RE: two 7030 controller HA deployment

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 28, 2019 09:38 AM

If you are on ArubaOS 8.x and you do not have an MM deployed, clustering is not an available feature.

• 7.  RE: two 7030 controller HA deployment

Posted Mar 01, 2019 01:27 PM
    So guys I am still not certain about how my HA deployment will be.
    Firstly I did installed the two controllers as master but when I did this I didn't manage to do any WLAN configuration as WLAN is configured under "managed network", and have only two controllers.

So i did reset the two boxes and reinstall them as stand alone.

How would I now configure HA and make.the controllers sync license and configuration?

• 8.  RE: two 7030 controller HA deployment

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 01, 2019 09:21 PM

You would do it based on the post here:  http://support.arubanetworks.com/LifetimeWarrantySoftware/tabid/121/DMXModule/661/Default.aspx?EntryId=20388

When you do master redundancy, you configure one controller with everything WLAN or you can configure little.  You configure that controller with a VRRP and then master redundancy.  You configure the second controller with a VRRP of lower priority and then master redundancy.  Whichever controller has the higher priority in the master redundancy situation will push its configuration to the other controller.  You can then turn on centralized licensing and all configuration will be synchronized from the controller that "owns" the VRRP to the other controller.