Wireless Access

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

upgrading code on 2 Master Controllers (1 is backup) and 4 locals

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  upgrading code on 2 Master Controllers (1 is backup) and 4 locals

Posted Jan 06, 2017 10:55 AM

Hi everyone, I have uploaded 6.4.2.17 to part 0 on all controllers. I am wondering how I should go about the upgrade process. Should I start the upgrade on the two Master Controllers first, or the locals then the Master or all at once? Just trying to reduce the chance of causing a problem. Any input is appreciated. Thanks, James

• 2.  RE: upgrading code on 2 Master Controllers (1 is backup) and 4 locals

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 06, 2017 11:06 AM

There is no problem doing all at once.  I would say I recommend it being done that way.

• 3.  RE: upgrading code on 2 Master Controllers (1 is backup) and 4 locals

Posted Jan 06, 2017 12:56 PM

Thank you Colin,

My next question is;  what implication (if any) would arise if we decide to upgrade Master (backup) and Local 1 & 2 at location two ( from 6.4.2.14 to .17) and leave Master, Local, Local on original code (6.4.2.14) at Location 1? All locations utilize the Master controller at location 1

• 4.  RE: upgrading code on 2 Master Controllers (1 is backup) and 4 locals

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 06, 2017 01:37 PM

@james.heyworth wrote:

Thank you Colin,

My next question is;  what implication (if any) would arise if we decide to upgrade Master (backup) and Local 1 & 2 at location two ( from 6.4.2.14 to .17) and leave Master, Local, Local on original code (6.4.2.14) at Location 1? All locations utilize the Master controller at location 1

The risk is that:

- If there is a bug that is addressed in .17, it might require both controllers to have the same version of code

- If your  APs discover the master at one site before the locals at another site when booting up, they might be caught in a bootloop.

If you have an appropriate window, just upgrade all at one time.

Why are you upgrading, anyway?

• 5.  RE: upgrading code on 2 Master Controllers (1 is backup) and 4 locals

Posted Jan 06, 2017 01:51 PM
    My bad ☺, what I was trying to say is that it is recommended to have all controllers using the same level code.

• 6.  RE: upgrading code on 2 Master Controllers (1 is backup) and 4 locals

Posted Jan 06, 2017 01:51 PM
    My bad ☺, what I was trying to say is that it is recommended to have all controllers using the same level code.

• 7.  RE: upgrading code on 2 Master Controllers (1 is backup) and 4 locals

Posted Jan 06, 2017 01:09 PM
    If leave the master with a different then you be able to make changes to the locals controllers.

All controllers need to be in the same level of code to communicate properly.

Get Outlook for iOS

• 8.  RE: upgrading code on 2 Master Controllers (1 is backup) and 4 locals

Posted Jan 06, 2017 01:13 PM

Sorry Victor, your grammar threw me off. Can you explain better? The code change is a minor rev upgrade. From .14 to .17.Are you saying that by upgrading the code on the masters, our local controllers will have problems communicating with the master? We just want to control the impact this may have on our facilities, doing 1 facility at a time rather than both. If this is successful, we will perform the upgrade the following day at the other facility.

@Victor Fabian wrote:
    If leave the master with a different then you be able to make changes to the locals controllers.

All controllers need to be in the same level of code to communicate properly.

Get Outlook for iOS

• 9.  RE: upgrading code on 2 Master Controllers (1 is backup) and 4 locals

Posted Jan 06, 2017 01:09 PM

If you leave the master controller with a different code then you won't be able to communicate properly with the locals controllers.

Get Outlook for iOS