Wireless Access

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

using old APs 65 as Air monitor

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  using old APs 65 as Air monitor

Posted Sep 27, 2012 11:25 PM

Okay we are trying to sell an upgraded solution of an alraedy aruba custumer.

The thing is that we though in putting  their old ap 65 as air monitor so that way they would not have to buy APS for air monitor and this way making the quote cheaper and maybe more attractive for the client if he find it too expensive.  We are using APS 105 for their new deployment

My question is

Does having this old AP 65 have any negative thing when using it as air monitor? i guess it will have Less range and that would be it.

Besides that there is anyhthing else negative? less performance in doing IDS/IPS?

Also can this old APS be used on spectrum analyzer mode?

Cheers

Carlos

• 2.  RE: using old APs 65 as Air monitor
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 28, 2012 06:15 AM

AP65 can be an air monitor for a/b/g clients, but would not be able to understand all 802.11n traffic.  It also cannot do spectrum analysis.

Most IDS/IPS use management frames and those frames are sent at the lowest rates, and go very, very far.  The distance that an "n" or non-802.11n access point sends management frames is similar.

• 3.  RE: using old APs 65 as Air monitor

Posted Sep 28, 2012 10:08 AM

Thank you very much Collin

One last question

Does this mean they wont be able to contain or do all the IDS and IPS function like tarpit a n capable AP? 

• 4.  RE: using old APs 65 as Air monitor
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 28, 2012 10:19 AM

@NightShade1 wrote:

Thank you very much Collin

One last question

Does this mean they wont be able to contain or do all the IDS and IPS function like tarpit a n capable AP? 

They will be able to do tarpitting.  It is detection for 802.11n-specific attacks that they could have issues with.

• 5.  RE: using old APs 65 as Air monitor

Posted Sep 28, 2012 10:21 AM

Thanks!!!!

• 6.  RE: using old APs 65 as Air monitor

Posted Feb 20, 2018 08:05 AM

I have a further question on this topic, what is the reason I might choose between a 205, 215, or say 225 as an Air Monitor.  I know a 225 can do 3ss better than a 215, than a 205... etc... for larger numbers of users, but i don't know if the extra memory and processor in the higher models is required for IPS/IPS detection and remediation chores.   If i was deploying a 100 each of the 205 AP to a customer, should I quote them 205 AM's as well, or is it better to use 225 APS?   how can I make an informed and correct choice?  Thank you

Neal

• 7.  RE: using old APs 65 as Air monitor

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 20, 2018 08:29 AM

IDS/IPS monitoring typically monitors the management frames which are sent at the same rates for just about all access points.  You can theoretically use any of those APs to do that.  Please consult with your Aruba salesperson for your specific use case, just to make sure.