Wireless Access

last person joined: 11 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

view vlan statistics (multicast, BC, etc.)?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  view vlan statistics (multicast, BC, etc.)?

MVP
    Posted Feb 13, 2015 07:15 AM

I'm getting 90+% multicast in my dashboard and would like to find out from what vlan we're getting that MC traffic. The uplink is a single port-channel containing all vlans..

Per physical interface I can see the ammount of multicast and broadcast compared to unicast. (show interface counters)

How do I get this info per vlan?

• 2.  RE: view vlan statistics (multicast, BC, etc.)?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 13, 2015 07:27 AM

Screenshot of your Dashboard, please?  

• 3.  RE: view vlan statistics (multicast, BC, etc.)?

MVP
    Posted Feb 13, 2015 07:29 AM

• 4.  RE: view vlan statistics (multicast, BC, etc.)?

MVP
    Posted Feb 13, 2015 07:38 AM

2015-02-13 13_27_35-Dashboard.png

• 5.  RE: view vlan statistics (multicast, BC, etc.)?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 13, 2015 08:06 AM

That table shows multicast frames, which could also include management frames.  To see ip multicast info, you could type "show ip igmp group" 

• 6.  RE: view vlan statistics (multicast, BC, etc.)?

MVP
    Posted Feb 13, 2015 08:18 AM

Sould that command return anything if the controller isn't a participant in the multicast?

Any way to see if that MC is 802.11 mgmt traffic?

And how realistic is it that only 3% of the frames result in a goodput of  +100 Mbp? Surely the mcast has to be a factor here?

Seemed a logical explanation for why both 2.4 aswel as 5 GHz are extremely slow here. :(

• 7.  RE: view vlan statistics (multicast, BC, etc.)?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 13, 2015 09:12 AM
    Koenv,

I do not have an immediate answer to your specific questions.

If you think you have a problem with broadcasts, why not suppress it either on the vlan level or virtual ap level and see if things are different.?

• 8.  RE: view vlan statistics (multicast, BC, etc.)?

MVP
    Posted Feb 23, 2015 10:48 AM

Well.. it is a live network and change mgmt policies are in place.  Being able to tell what vlan was the source would have been helpfull.

We did finaly get permission and enabled bcmc-optimization on all vlans. Overall goodput dropped from 200 Mbps with 95% multicast frames to 30 Mbps and 4% multicast frames.

All is good again I hear you say?

Well, it would be but suddenly the guest network can't communicate anymore. They receive an ip address just find but cannot ping their default gateway or anything further up anymore. Pings to the controller are fine. 

Disable the bcmc-optimization for that vlan and it works again..  so now I'm breaking my head trying to figure out what bc or mc has to do with a simple ping.