Wireless Access

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

warehouse quetion

This thread has been viewed 10 times
  • 1.  warehouse quetion

Posted Jun 22, 2013 08:33 AM

I was wondering if a warehouse which has a heigh of 9.40meters

A AP 135 with their downtilt antenas would be fine to reach with good signal to PDTs  on 5ghz band? 

I mean from the AP is facing down to the ground where the PDTS and the users are :)

Anyone has any experience with this? :)

Cheers

Carlos

#AP135

• 2.  RE: warehouse quetion
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 22, 2013 11:53 AM

Nightshade1,

Both the AP105 and the AP135 have built-in downtilt Omnidirectional Antennas and would provide ground coverage at 9M on the 5ghz band.

Please take a look at Chuck L's Warehouse Presentation at Airheads here:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/aruba/attachments/aruba/tkb@tkb/92/1/Airheads%20Barcelona%202010%20-%20RF%20Design%20for%20Retail%20Warehousing%20Manufacturing.pdf  It is the definitive guide as to how we approach warehouses and distribution centers at Aruba.  It will give you additional considerations about what you should look for when deploying in a warehouse.  Mounted at that height in open space, RF travels much further than in a regular office building with obstacles.

• 3.  RE: warehouse quetion

Posted Jun 22, 2013 12:02 PM

Thanks Collin!!!

Cheers

Carlos

• 4.  RE: warehouse quetion
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 22, 2013 07:08 PM

Carlos,

AP10X, AP13X and AP22X are all good to as much as 40m of height.

Due to the directionality of the antenna pattern, the beamwidth points straight down in a cone shape.   So your gain is roughly the same no matter where you stand in the beam.

Obviously free space loss comes into play, but at typical warehouse/DC heights with this pattern we still deliver near maximum data rate at ground level.

• 5.  RE: warehouse quetion

Posted Jun 22, 2013 07:15 PM

Yeah  i know about the parttern of the antena and what does downtilt antena because of your video, thanks for that! hope you keep doing those.

But im was not sure about the heigh  thats why i was asking, for a specific case of a AP135 with internal downtilt antenas which like you said in your video it goes like a cone :)

40m would be  ok for example a ap135 on 5ghz? or on 2.4ghz? because well 2.4ghz goes farther.

Guess it also depents on the PDTS antenas?  if they are crappy then that would be less  meters right?

• 6.  RE: warehouse quetion

Posted Jun 22, 2013 09:31 PM

You get great performance on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz from our indoor APs up to 40m height.

• 7.  RE: warehouse quetion

Posted Jun 22, 2013 11:44 PM

Thank you!!

Cheers

Carlos

• 8.  RE: warehouse quetion

Posted Jun 24, 2013 07:36 PM

I'm arriving to this conversation late, but I'll add that we're using AP93 in a warehouse of similar height with no coverage problems.

The access-points can "see" each other over the tops of the shelves better than the clients can see the access-ponts, so we've had to tune ARM a bit, but the coverage at the floor level has been great.

• 9.  RE: warehouse quetion

Posted Jun 25, 2013 07:38 AM

I'll also jump in late and add a question to your post Matthew. What kind of alternations to ARM have you done to prevent the APs from going to low on signal strenght?  I have a similar installation where APs see eachother very well in the ceiling and therefore lowers their transmit power and that makes the clients, 15m down, get low signal.

Thanx!

Chris

• 10.  RE: warehouse quetion

Posted Jun 25, 2013 08:49 AM

does your pdts support 5ghz band?

If so you can use it, you got a bunch of channels in there so that they can see each other wont be any issue...

Cheers

Carlos

• 11.  RE: warehouse quetion

Posted Jun 25, 2013 09:08 AM

Right now they are only 2,4ghz compatible.

Chris

• 12.  RE: warehouse quetion

Posted Jun 25, 2013 08:47 PM

The best approach here is to use "Min TX EIRP" and "Max TX EIRP" to establish an allowed band of SNR that the APs cannot go below or above.

Typical values in a warehouse environment would be min of 12 and max of 15.    Or min of 15 and max of 18 for less dense facility.

These settings are in the ARM profile inside the AP group.

Be aware that the antenna pattern of these APs is already reducing your AP-to-AP signal levels.  If you had classic "rubber duck" antennas your AP-AP SNRs would be as much as 10dB higher.

• 13.  RE: warehouse quetion

Posted Jun 28, 2013 05:37 PM

That's exactly what we're doing -- we had a bit of a scuffle internally about the signal-strength to EIRP calculation.

We let the APs range from 18 to 27

• 14.  RE: warehouse quetion

Posted Sep 25, 2013 06:31 PM

Hello Lukas

Question here

in a 10m ceiling i bealive an ap 115 will do just fine right? i mean facing down as it has downtilt antennas as far i remenber

The other quetions is how many meters on the ground is covered with full datarate on 5ghz if the AP 115 is placed on a ceiling of 10m?

what i mean with this question every how many meters will be wise to place AP 115?

Is there a way or a formula to get this done? like for example if you got a heigh of 10 m then you will cover also 10 m on the ground horizontally

Do you understand my question?

Cheers

Carlos