Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

what adapter to implement

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  what adapter to implement

Posted Dec 17, 2012 06:36 AM

Hello,

Newly installed Aruba instant 105 AP, 802.11abgn in a HP desktop environment. I tried 1 wireless adapter D link DWA 566 but I can't get connection in my office. Moving the desktop nearer to the AP everything goes smoothly. We have had a site survey.

Can I find a solution in buying other wireless adapters? Or can I make settings in  the Aruba?

(The D link dwa 566 is an N adapter)

thanks

• 2.  RE: what adapter to implement

Posted Dec 17, 2012 08:36 AM

Okay im confused

You just can connect if you are near the AP

And you CANT connect if you are far?

• 3.  RE: what adapter to implement

Posted Dec 18, 2012 08:45 AM

Yes, you could say so. Near the AP connecting is no problem. My laptop seems to get better connections then the HP desktop with the Linksys adapter installed. Can i get better connections with other adapter? Any experience with adapters for N networking in W7?

thanks

• 4.  RE: what adapter to implement

Posted Dec 18, 2012 08:57 AM
    qell did you try downloading the lastest driver of the adapter? as far i u derstand you laptops works great but qith thw desktop with the usb wireless card dont right? btw whats your ative language?

• 5.  RE: what adapter to implement

Posted Dec 19, 2012 04:05 AM

Latest driver is installed for the D-link adapter(a pci express). I'm going to try a Linksys wireless adapter. I hope this one gives better connectivity.

@Nightshade: native language is dutch.

• 6.  RE: what adapter to implement

Posted Dec 19, 2012 08:41 AM

Im trying to imaging your situation

I think that your wireless adapter just work when its near the ap becasuse when you put the desktop where it belongs it must be down the desk with no line of sigh or anything so the wireless adapter has to through the metal of the desktop the metal or wood of the where the end user sits... and i balive thats the issue..

And it works with a laptop because it has better line of sigh...you can do the test but using the dlink adapter on a laptop that you know it works... turn off the wifi and use just the wireless adapter and see if it has the same issue where you put the laptop, which should be over the desk not under the desk that most of the desktop are.

Cheers

Carlos

• 7.  RE: what adapter to implement

Posted Jan 08, 2013 09:19 AM

I have tried the Dlink, and a linksys n adapter. Same results. Even with a USB linksys n adapter there was only connection within a range of 5 or 6 meters from the ap! What is the need of a site survey if there are blank spots in the building?

It's time to call the company that installed all the Aruba's!

thanks for helping,

• 8.  RE: what adapter to implement

Posted Feb 10, 2013 11:42 AM

did you figure this out?

my personal experience is that desktop wireless is a lot worse then with a laptop. the reason would be the antennas i believe, they are nicely done in a laptop, with a desktop it is much harder, for example because of the big metal box on one side. in the end i gave up and moved back to a wire, with my laptop there is hardly an issue. you might look into having antennas away from the desktop, if your adapter supports that, I never went that route, but it might work out.