Wireless Access

last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

what is the main difference between master-local , and VRRP ?

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  what is the main difference between master-local , and VRRP ?

Posted Sep 13, 2016 09:34 AM

Hi All ,

I have two 7210 controllers , when i was with the customer he asked me what is the redunduncy method which we will use ? i said master local or vrrp , he asked me what is the difference between them ! 

then i started thinking .... then i didn't find an answer !

• 2.  RE: what is the main difference between master-local , and VRRP ?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 13, 2016 09:40 AM
    Master-local is more Active/Active, whereas master redundancy using VRRP is
    more Active/Standby

• 3.  RE: what is the main difference between master-local , and VRRP ?

Posted Sep 13, 2016 09:44 AM

how we decide that master-local is more active active and VRRP is more active -stand by ? i mean what is the considered factors to say this ?

• 4.  RE: what is the main difference between master-local , and VRRP ?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 13, 2016 09:47 AM
    Generally, you would point your APs to the local as the primary and fail to
    the master. Please reach out to your Aruba partner. There are other
    architectural decisions depending on your environment.

• 5.  RE: what is the main difference between master-local , and VRRP ?

Posted Sep 13, 2016 10:01 AM

thank you Tim ,

anyone have any other ideas ?

• 6.  RE: what is the main difference between master-local , and VRRP ?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 13, 2016 10:35 AM

Master-Local and VRRP are not mutually exclusive, they aren't even really comparable as they aren't related. Master-Local is a controller topology that involves having a master controller that manages config, ARM, WIDS, etc and a local controller that terminates all the users. It's a method of building controller redundancy into a WLAN 'system'.

VRRP is the Virtual-IP that is shared between two or more network elements, and is USUALLY used between two controller to provide fault-tolerance (if the primary holder of the VRRP IP goes down, the backup will take over and you have network continuity. Note that VRRP is Layer-2, which means that both network devices (controllers) have to be in the same VLAN/network.

You can ALSO use the LMS IP and Backup-LMS IP for controller redundancy, where the APs try the first LMS IP and if that goes down, they will fail over to the Backup LMS IP. This is NOT as fast or efficient as VRRP, but is a Layer-3 failover mechanism, which means the master could be in one network/VLAN and the local be in another.

As Tim stated though, there are LOTS of variables to consider in a multi-controller deployment that should be discussed with your local partner or Aruba SE to make sure you are deploying the correct architecture for yours or your customer's needs