Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

what is the purpose of session-tunnel-fib

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  what is the purpose of session-tunnel-fib

Posted Jan 16, 2020 06:55 PM

In options for firewall on controllers there is an option:

session-tunnel-fib

as the description for this option in CLI Reference isn't much helpfull:

"Enable session tunnel-based forwarding.

NOTE: Best practices is to enable this parameter only during maintenance window or off-peak production hours. On the M3, this parameter only enables tunnel-based forwarding, as session-based forwarding does not apply to this platform."

and there is no mentions in User Guide I would like to ask what is the purpose of this session-tunnel-fib option?

Does it relate to tunnels established with APs in tunneled based mode or it does soemething with GRE tunnels or maybe it has influence for tunnels between controllers and MM?

• 2.  RE: what is the purpose of session-tunnel-fib

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 16, 2020 07:55 PM

It is an engineering tool only and quite frankly, I am surprised that it is not hidden.

• 3.  RE: what is the purpose of session-tunnel-fib

Posted Jan 16, 2020 09:08 PM

It is not only not hidden but also mentioned in official manuals. Do you know how one can use this option?

And what is the meaning of the M3 in the description of this parameter?

• 4.  RE: what is the purpose of session-tunnel-fib
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 16, 2020 09:12 PM

The M3 is a very old controller supervisor card.  The knob was to influence how that platform functioned back in the day and might not even be valid today.  It was only used by engineering and I would honestly forget about it.

• 5.  RE: what is the purpose of session-tunnel-fib

Posted Jan 16, 2020 09:19 PM

Thank you for your quick answer.