Wireless Water Cooler

last person joined: 11 days ago 

Hang out and socialize with other community members in this off topic forum. Everything from industry trends to hobbies and interests are welcomed!
Expand all | Collapse all

Business router/upnp

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Business router/upnp

Posted Oct 03, 2013 01:57 PM

Hello,

At this present moment we'ev rolled out an Aruba 7210 at a student housing location, and have run across a few issues, specifcally when it comes to NAT.  Waht we've found is that XBOX 360 users are having complications with staying connected when using the wireless services,  Since there are over 400 differnet users at this location, all in ther own private subnet, we'd like to avoid port forwarding for each device that would run just ifne on a regular wireless router using Upnp.  My question is, has anyone come across a router out there that suports about 1 Gig of throughput, multiple vlans and NAT, and supports UPnp as well?  Ive checked with our main vendors (Juniper and Cisco) and struck out.

• 2.  RE: Business router/upnp

Posted Oct 07, 2013 05:06 PM

I'm not sure if this will work, multiple uPNP users behind the same firewall.  uPnP dynamically programs port forwards and you can't forward a port to more than one internal address.  So if you have multiple users playing the same game, it could collide with the dynamic ports being opened.  Seems like a nice use case for SDN :-)

• 3.  RE: Business router/upnp

Posted Oct 07, 2013 05:11 PM

If you want to experiement, pfsense and monowall support uPNP.  I don't know if you can get 1 gig throughput though, but would presume possible if the hardware it's running on is capable.  You might be able to policy route traffic only for gaming services to this box....