Wireless Water Cooler

last person joined: 10 days ago 

Hang out and socialize with other community members in this off topic forum. Everything from industry trends to hobbies and interests are welcomed!
Expand all | Collapse all

Multiple DHCP scopes for the same SSID?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Multiple DHCP scopes for the same SSID?

Posted Dec 04, 2013 12:47 PM

I am trying to find out if any of the Aruba controllers will allow me to tie different subents/DHCP scopes to the same SSID.

For example, we have a remote office which will have its own controller and we want to use two or three different /24 networks for WiFi (versus using one gigantic /21 etc). I would like to try and minimize the amount of broadcast traffic on these segments. As I have heard, Apple devices can be somewhat chatty (Airplay).

At some point we would like to deploy AirGroup so I would imagine that may change our requirement. Any input you could provide would be much appreciated.

• 2.  RE: Multiple DHCP scopes for the same SSID?

Posted Dec 04, 2013 12:53 PM

yes you can do that

The name of that feature is Vlan poolin

Cheers

Carlos

• 3.  RE: Multiple DHCP scopes for the same SSID?

Posted Dec 04, 2013 12:57 PM

Ah yeah to configure it you can do it through GUI or cli

Ill show you thoguth CLI

First you need to create the vlans in the controller

Second step you need to create the vlan pool like you can see  down.

(config) #vlan-name Students pool

(config) #vlan Students 201-203

Asyou see you are putting a name to the vlans 201, 202,203 and the name of those 3 vlans is Students

You can check  the vlan mapping

(config) #show vlan mapping

Vlan Mapping Table

------------------

VLAN Name  Pool Status  VLAN IDs

---------  -----------  --------

Students   Enabled      201-203

Now you got the name tied to the vlans you can go to the virtual AP and instaed of selecting one vlan you can select the name! in this case, select Students

I dont know if its clear or there is something you didnt undrestand?

Cheers

Carlos

• 4.  RE: Multiple DHCP scopes for the same SSID?

Posted Dec 04, 2013 01:09 PM

Excellent. I knew there had to be some way to support this, but I just was not familiar with it. Thanks to all. We will likely do this for internal WiFi access. At some point, AirGroup will come into play and we will need to permit iPad's and iPhones to connect to our AppleTV across different vlans, which without Airgroup I hear is a fairly complicated task.

• 5.  RE: Multiple DHCP scopes for the same SSID?

Posted Dec 04, 2013 01:16 PM

Find below link which woud help you in implementing best pratices to control BCMC flood and which also talks about VLAN pooling config at the end.

http://www.arubanetworks.com/vrd/HighDensityVRD/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/wwhelp.htm#context=HighDensityVRD&file=Chap6.html

Thank you and hope this helps.