Wireless Water Cooler

last person joined: 16 days ago 

Hang out and socialize with other community members in this off topic forum. Everything from industry trends to hobbies and interests are welcomed!

Offshore Point to Multi Point 2km bridge using AP-274 or AirMesh MSR2000 and antenna options?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Offshore Point to Multi Point 2km bridge using AP-274 or AirMesh MSR2000 and antenna options?

Posted May 24, 2016 11:22 AM
      |   view attached

We're designing a wireless link P2MP with a stationary rig supplying connection for ships at a distance of up to 2 km. The ships will be in a relatively limited area of 10deg-20deg off the rig, but could face any direction.

The obvious choice was the AP-274 with directional antennas on the rig side and omnidirectional antennas at the ships. However, the MSR-2000 does look like a more specialized product. What would be the pros and cons of choosing the MSR2000 instead of the AP-274?

I was planning on using the ANT-3x3-5712 at the rig AP and the ANT-3x3-5010 at the ships, but I am wondering how the polarization mismatch could affect this design? I also know the 3x3 MIMO will be hard to achieve outdoor, especially at these distances, but I think it’s more than an adequate solution for the customer even at 2x2 or 1x1 and 3x3 MIMO would thus only be a bonus.

I also would like to use the 2.4 GHz radio for redundancy, but there is less options from Aruba for high gain directional and omnidirectional antennas at 2.4 GHz. I have found a few other options, e.g. the RFI CD2409 8.5 dBi omni and the 3x3 15dBi MARS MA-WA24-TPMIMO. Again the polarisation mismatch is a concern, and also the gain mismatch creating an uplink/downlink mismatch, and I wonder if I might be better off with a better matched 2x2 MIMO solution with a 50 ohm terminator on the third connector.

Added some art for better understanding. Give me your 2 cents, please. :)

Kind regards

Jan Vidar Rognsvag

CWNA, CWDP