Wireless Water Cooler

last person joined: 10 days ago 

Hang out and socialize with other community members in this off topic forum. Everything from industry trends to hobbies and interests are welcomed!
Expand all | Collapse all

bssid of 00:25:00:ff:94:73 showing up as interfering

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  bssid of 00:25:00:ff:94:73 showing up as interfering

Posted Sep 24, 2014 02:31 PM

anyone know what this BSSID is used for?   it seems to be showing up alot now since ios8,  I know it is an apple mac but not sure what it is used for and I see an increasing number of clients connecting to it.    need to know if it is an issue or not.

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: bssid of 00:25:00:ff:94:73 showing up as interfering

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 25, 2014 03:33 AM

texasabels,

Is it a very strong signal, like it could be in your building?  It could be an Airport...  Try to find it with inssider or wifi analyzer....

• 3.  RE: bssid of 00:25:00:ff:94:73 showing up as interfering

Posted Sep 25, 2014 03:48 PM

We are not by an airport so I don't think it is that.   and strangley this address is showing up in two seperate sites one in Plano texas, and the other near houston.  If I walk around with my phone using Wifi analyzer I can not find this mac but yet: i see it on 5ghz and 2.4.

• 4.  RE: bssid of 00:25:00:ff:94:73 showing up as interfering

Posted Oct 02, 2014 09:43 AM

I just started seeing this mac pop up on campus too.  It is showing up in Airwave as a contained rogue.  It's an ad hoc network that has had 600+ associations.  Apple doesn't seem to have any insight -- https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6574243

Just trying to find out if anyone can nail down what this is.

Thanks

• 5.  RE: bssid of 00:25:00:ff:94:73 showing up as interfering

Posted Oct 02, 2014 03:23 PM

@jewynia1:

I posted the question you referenced on the Apple forum. I just updated my post there, but in-short, I think it might be a peer-to-peer Airplay discovery, or Airplay receiver discover (leaning toward the former).

Hoping someone can help test/confirm/deny the hypothesis since we don't have an Airplay receiver, or control of the user devices to test.

• 6.  RE: bssid of 00:25:00:ff:94:73 showing up as interfering

Posted Dec 05, 2014 09:12 AM

any update to this? I'm seeing this at a customer site and the rogue type is soft-ap when running the show wms ap command. 

The BSSID shows up in building all over a campus deployment so it's definitely an ad hoc software issue with Apple.

• 7.  RE: bssid of 00:25:00:ff:94:73 showing up as interfering

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 12, 2014 01:33 AM
      |   view attached

These packets are being generated by AppleTVs - it seems to be part of the new "adhoc airplay" that Apple can do, please see attached.

there seems to be two modes of operaiton. this bssid is used when the ATV and macbook are streaming, and also there seems to be sort of beaconing that its doing. The attached were captured from an ATV that was not being used.