Wireless Water Cooler

last person joined: 11 days ago 

Hang out and socialize with other community members in this off topic forum. Everything from industry trends to hobbies and interests are welcomed!

horst

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  horst

Posted Mar 24, 2015 02:42 AM

Jake Snyder introduced me to this nifty wireless analysis tool called "horst." The name is an acronym for Highly Optimized Radio Scanning Tool. It's a small text-based wireless analysis tool that runs best on Linux. It can run on Mac, but it cannot change channels. I tried to use AirTool to change the channels, but horst seems to tie in too tightly to Linux right now for that to work. It does have a number of useful tools for Wi-Fi analysis. Here's an example of the base statistics screen:

horst-stats_0.png

Since most of this type of functionality is usually only available for Windows users, it's nice to an OSS option available for Linux users. It also has a rudimentary spectrum analyzer that can tell you what's going on in the channels nearby, too. Pretty cool little program.

horst-spec1.png

All in all, this is a good tool for a quick look at what's going on in the network. I could see turning this into something you could send on a bootable USB to a remote site so you could gather some data for troubleshooting or adding it to Kali Linux boot drive.

Here's the website for it, you should check it out! http://br1.einfach.org/tech/horst/