Wireless and RF

Regular Contributor I

Re: Can it be turned off 802.11b

Hi Colin,
We are seeing <50 802.11b only devices out of 20,000 total so not a huge concern. So why is density the main factor? With my limited understanding I was thinking the radio would be able to spend more time in higher rates. Isn't there some kind of TDM going on with multiple rates?
For example: http://www.thefreelibrary.com/802.11g+slows+down+so+802.11b+can+keep+up.-a0110026568
cheers,

--
ACMA ACMP
Frequent Contributor II

I have a customer who disabled 802.11b rates. Only to find out that there are some devices which need 802.11b rates to then upgrade to 802.11g rates. These clients on this customers network happen to be some wireless HP printers. When they could not connect via 802.11b rates the client would retry (If I remember right) 10 time a second which caused all kinds of other problems.
David Dipert
Highlighted
Regular Contributor I

"Station Shaping Policy" to have preferential access for g-radio clients over b-radio

How does setting the "Station Shaping Policy" to "preferred-access" help in having the g-radio clients getting a preferred-access over the b-radio client?

in other words, how does the setting "Station Shaping Policy" compensate the throughput loss that normally happens to g-radio client, when having both g-radio and b-radio clients in network?
Aruba Employee
Aruba Employee

Preferred access uses a token system for data transmission, b clients get fewer tokens than g clients, who get fewer tokens than n clients. The b client gets less time to transmit, therefore doesn't slow the g client down as much as it would normally when they would simply race to transmit. You might want to give this paper a read which goes into more detail on the topic:

http://networktest.com/arubaarm/arubaarm1.pdf

-awl
Andy Logan, ACDX
Director, Strategic Account Solutions
Aruba Networks
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: