Wireless and RF

Guru Elite

Re: Two channel plan vs Three channel plan?

Okay, so you have a roaming issue.

The first thing is to ensure that your clients have the most up to date drivers.

The second is to try the "local probe request threshold" parameter under the SSID profile:

wlan ssid-profile "employee-wpa2"
local-probe-req-thresh 20

That parameter states under what signal strength will probe requests be ignored. Start with it at 20. Reset the parameter to 0 to turn it off.

Make sure that Spectrum Load Balancing is not enabled in the ARM profile to make sure the feature works properly.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Central Documentation
Aruba Technical Webinars
Occasional Contributor II

Okay, so you have a roaming issue.

The first thing is to ensure that your clients have the most up to date drivers.

The second is to try the "local probe request threshold" parameter under the SSID profile:

wlan ssid-profile "employee-wpa2"
local-probe-req-thresh 20

That parameter states under what signal strength will probe requests be ignored. Start with it at 20. Reset the parameter to 0 to turn it off.

Make sure that Spectrum Load Balancing is not enabled in the ARM profile to make sure the feature works properly.

Ok I will turn the Spectrum Load Balancing off (I enabled it at one point too), to tweak this, what should I try if 20 doesn't work, to make the value higher or lower?

As for the driver issue, that's hard to do on an iPad with the latest iOS installed...

EDIT: I turned on the feature and noticed that I don't have an option to enable "Local Probe Response", not sure if this is by design or a limitation of my license, but the Local Probe Request Threshold is set to 20.

Let's see how that goes, and I also couldn't find any information on this in the user guide, can you please elaborate (as per my question above) how I should measure the dBM?

Is 40 less than 20 or greater than? I am still confused when I think about it, since dBM is measured in negative numbers I'm not sure which is higher or if I should know when a value is normalized etc. So I don't know if the 20 here is really -20dBM or 20dBM? etc.
Guru Elite

The signal strength is in RSSI, which is why we start at 20. Less than 20 is less signal. Signal strength below that number and the access point will ignore a local probe response from a client. The end result should be that an access point will not accept associations from weak clients.

The Local probe response parameter is no longer configurable on 5.0.3.0, so don't worry about it.

Test it for sometime before changing it, to determine if there is any difference.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Technical Webinars
Occasional Contributor II

The signal strength is in RSSI, which is why we start at 20. Less than 20 is less signal. Signal strength below that number and the access point will ignore a local probe response from a client. The end result should be that an access point will not accept associations from weak clients.

The Local probe response parameter is no longer configurable on 5.0.3.0, so don't worry about it.

Test it for sometime before changing it, to determine if there is any difference.

Thank you, so far this seems to have fixed our roaming issue, I'll continue to keep an eye on it but as of right now I'm a happy camper with this.
Contributor II

questions

I have questions regarding this conversation please;

1 - "Make sure that Spectrum Load Balancing is not enabled in the ARM profile to make sure the feature works properly. " Why does this need to be disabled? We use this feature and it works well for us. Is it ok to have a threshold set while SLB is enabled?

2 - "The Local probe response parameter is no longer configurable on 5.0.3.0, so don't worry about it." Why was this feature removed? do you know if it's automatic now or if it was dropped as a non-desirable option?

We're considering using this feature, but if it goes away beyond 3.x.x.x, we'd like to know why before we try it.

Thanks!
Guru Elite

I have questions regarding this conversation please;

1 - "Make sure that Spectrum Load Balancing is not enabled in the ARM profile to make sure the feature works properly. " Why does this need to be disabled? We use this feature and it works well for us. Is it ok to have a threshold set while SLB is enabled?

2 - "The Local probe response parameter is no longer configurable on 5.0.3.0, so don't worry about it." Why was this feature removed? do you know if it's automatic now or if it was dropped as a non-desirable option?

We're considering using this feature, but if it goes away beyond 3.x.x.x, we'd like to know why before we try it.

Thanks!

It needs to be disabled while using the local probe threshold feature because they are meant to be used separately. If everything is working, do not make changes.

Local probe response os different from local probe response threshold. The former was required to be turned off for any load balancing features to be enabled, bit that os no longer a restriction.

ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Technical Webinars
Contributor I

It's no longer a restriction in the sense that a threshold can be set to say 20 and spectrum load balancing can be used?
Guru Elite

No. Do not use both together.

ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Technical Webinars
Highlighted
Contributor I

Where does the conflict come in?

SLB compares whether or not an AP has more clients than its
neighboring APs on other channels

It can't also listen to a clients request determine what its signal is and choose not to respond to it?

Assuming I understand those two features correctly.
Guru Elite

Long story short, it has not been tested together extensively. Need more data.

ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Technical Webinars
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: