Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all
This thread has been viewed 85 times
  • 1.  IAP vs AP

Posted Apr 01, 2019 07:34 AM

Hi,

I want to clarify some question marks on my head and I think the best place for this is here. Is it true that if I want to create a controllerless environment I need InstantOS capable APs to use, for example IAP-303?

Then lets say I want those IAP-303 to join into a cluster. Should I convert those to AP-303 with an arubaOS version installed on it?

So this scenario typically looks like this: lets say I have an environment only with AP-315 and of course there is a virtual controller on it! So if I want those IAP-303 to join on my cluster, I should first check if the firmware version on those AP-315 is later than 8.3 and if it so, than I will have to uppgrade the firmware on the others IAP and by doing so they will automatically converted to APs and the firmware installed will be the same as on the AP-315 (arubaOS)!

BR

• 2.  RE: IAP vs AP

Posted Apr 01, 2019 08:53 AM

I found this article which explain a lot of different concepts (controller and controller-less), IAP and AP and a lots of important stuffs. 

So in controller-less mode work both IAPs and APs (instantOS and arubaOS) and they may be provisioned via Airway or Central. 

https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_6_5_4_X_Web_Help/Content/ArubaFrameStyles/AP_Config/AP_Discovery_Logic.htm 

• 3.  RE: IAP vs AP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 03, 2019 12:29 AM

Hi Fisnikm,

Please also look into this article:

https://blogs.arubanetworks.com/solutions/aruba-unified-ap-platform/

The main difference between IAP (Instant AP) and CAP (Campus AP) is, that the IAP is used with controllerless setups. There is no need to convert the IAP to something different when using the IAP in such a scenario. You only need to convert the IAP to CAP if you would like to use the IAP with a Controller. 

A CAP can only work with a controller, but will never be able to join an instant cluster. 

• 4.  RE: IAP vs AP

Posted Apr 03, 2019 06:47 AM

Hi Florian,

thank you for your reply. I see on the datasheet for example for AP-303 the minimum software version ArubaOS and InstantOS is 8.3.0.0 or for example for AP-315 the minimum ArubaOS version 6.5.0.0, 8.0.1.0 and InstantOS 4.3.0.0. What does that mean? Is this something related with controlling them via central, I mean those APs have to be on that particular version or above to be able to manage them via central?

• 5.  RE: IAP vs AP
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 04, 2019 12:11 AM

The datasheet is always for both modes, Instant and controller based. The minimum ArubaOS version in the datasheet is the version you need as a minimum on the controller if you would like to use those AP as a controller based AP. The InstantOS version is the minimum version, you need to run the AP in Instant Mode. 

The list of supported devices in Central can be found here:

http://help.central.arubanetworks.com/2.4.8/documentation/online_help/content/public_cloud/get_started/supported_devices.htm

But this has nothing to do with the software version of the device. If a device is supported in central, central supports at least the minimum software version mentioned in the datasheet. 

• 6.  RE: IAP vs AP

Posted Jun 01, 2022 10:51 AM
    Hi Florian,
    by mistake or by ("Betrug"/fraud) I bought a used AP314 (JW795A) on ebay.
    After certain research here now I know that I should have bought  the IAP-314 (JW805A)
    I have 9 IAP207 bought here in Croatia in 2018. Does it make sense to buy a software controller and install it on a VM I found somewhere on the web that it costs about 1745 USD (btw. is this a lifetime fee or a one year subscription for the SW controller ?)
    In this case I need to convert the nine  IAP207 in AP207.
    Does this make sense ?

Is the only way to find out the actual operatind mode (AP or IAP) by looking up the formware. AP four numbers IAP four numbers- additional characters)
    OK more than one question, but I hope I will get an answer.

Kind regards from Croatia/Schöne Grüße
    Tomislav Periša

------------------------------
    Tom Periša

• 7.  RE: IAP vs AP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 07, 2022 10:11 AM
    You responded to a very old thread.

If you are happy with IAPs now, it probably does not make sense to get a controller just to add one AP314. In addition to the VM controller you would need AP+PEF+RFP licenses as well, and VM capacity to run the controller. Please reach out to your local Aruba reseller to find the best solution in your case. The controller and AP/PEF/RFP licenses are perpetual licenses in general (so one-time purchase, optionally after the first year support to be eligible for updates and having access to technical support).

To find the operating mode of the AP, if you have access to the console you can see during the boot the model number and indeed version like 8.6.0.13 = AP, 8.6.0.13-8.6.0.13 = IAP. But if you press enter and see a # prompt, it is running as AP, if it is a login prompt you are in Instant mode.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 8.  RE: IAP vs AP

Posted Jun 07, 2022 10:45 AM
    Dear Herman, tnx a lot for replying to an very old thread.
    I made my life easier by converting it to a IAP.
    It wasn't trivial (buying cables etc.) but at the and I add it to my existing. I am thinking to buy external antennas but since all clients are very close (120m2 showroom ) I have perfect coverage without external antennas
    Once again thank you for your kind support.

Tomislav Periša