Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba AP-505 RW Virtual Controller

This thread has been viewed 45 times
  • 1.  Aruba AP-505 RW Virtual Controller

Posted Aug 12, 2020 09:58 AM

Hi there, I am new to Aruba APs.

I have 16 and need one to be the virtual controller. I believe I have set it up as one, however, I am finding that when I add other factory new Aruba APs to the POE switch, they are refusing to let me log into them. They don't give out the set me up ssid that they would do if they couldn't locate a controller. I can see them on my windows server DHCP, but when I visit their web interface using their IP in a browser, they will not take admin + serial number or even my virtual controller password.

I already have DHCP on my Windows Server, so set the wireless I have configured to: network assigned client IP assignment.

I have given the virtual controller a static IP also. Am I missing anything?

This screen should be showing an additional controller, but it is not showing.

APs.png

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

• 2.  RE: Aruba AP-505 RW Virtual Controller

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Aug 12, 2020 12:17 PM

Are all of the new IAPs part of the same broadcast domain, they will need an IP address in the same range as the Virtual Controller.

Do you also have auto-join enabled as well on the Virtual Controller? If not you will need to manually add any additional APs.

• 3.  RE: Aruba AP-505 RW Virtual Controller

Posted Aug 12, 2020 01:15 PM

Thanks for your post Craig. They should be as this is a flat network and the POE switch just for these APs, is uplinked directly to the switches which connect to the router and DHCP server. 

I was assuming the new APs would pick up a DHCP address from our Windows server, which they have but seems strange that once I access them via browser, they won’t let me log on to them. 

Where can I find the auto-join options on controller and I will have a look? Please note that the controller is a virtual controller (just one of the APs). There is no physical controller here. 

I noted when I backed up the config for the virtual controller, the following...

Allow-new-aps

allowed-ap MAC address

allowed-ap Mac address

The top mac is the vc but the lower one is the factory new one I am trying to add. So the virtual controller must be noticing it to have it’s MAC address listed in the configuration.

• 4.  RE: Aruba AP-505 RW Virtual Controller
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 13, 2020 07:46 AM

I figured it out. I had put the DHCP server IP as the DNS IP for the Virtual Controller. Once I changed this, everything worked perfectly.

• 5.  RE: Aruba AP-505 RW Virtual Controller

Posted Sep 23, 2022 10:08 AM
    Hi Talksr,
    I have exactly the same issue of you, my new AP ( 505 ) can't not be add to my Virtual Controller.
    Can you please give me more details about how to put the DHCP server IP as the DNS IP for the Virtual Controller.
    Thanks for your help.

Thibault