Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Please I need help with AP-205 and Controller

This thread has been viewed 39 times
  • 1.  Please I need help with AP-205 and Controller

Posted May 02, 2022 10:08 AM
    Hello, I am new to buying aruba equipment.

Recently my boss bought some model APIN0205 aruba antennas. The model that needs a controller

He bought them without knowing that this equipment was needed.

My question is, is there a way to install a driver on a computer without having to buy a subscription?

Another question, I saw a controller on ebay model Aruba 620. I know it's an old model, but can I use it to configure the APs? Do I need anything else to configure them? A subscription also to be able to use it?

I am very lost with these devices and the aruba phone support really doesn't help much.

Thank you!.

------------------------------
    Daniel Ladeda

• 2.  RE: Please I need help with AP-205 and Controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 02, 2022 11:42 AM
    An AP-205 access point indeed requires the use of a controller.
    The 620 controller could be used, but it's indeed quite old, and to only ArobaOS code branch to support both 620 and AP-205 is 6.4, which is quite old as well, and no longer supported in case of issues.
    You will need to purchase AP capacity licenses on that controller as well.

Onno Harms

• 3.  RE: Please I need help with AP-205 and Controller

Posted May 03, 2022 03:10 PM
    The datasheet for the 200 series of APs says that they can be used as Instant (controller-less) APs - so couldn't the OP could use them without a controller ? 

https://www.arubanetworks.com/assets/ds/DS_AP200Series.pdf

------------------------------------------------------------

• 4.  RE: Please I need help with AP-205 and Controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 03, 2022 03:36 PM
    The 200 Series had separate product variants (SKUs) for controller-based (AOS, AP) and controller-less (Instant IAP) deployments. While an IAP can be converted to be used with a controller, the inverse is not possible.

Onno Harms

• 5.  RE: Please I need help with AP-205 and Controller

Posted May 03, 2022 03:53 PM
    Can I buy 1 IAP-205 and add the other AP-205s to that controller?
    Daniel Ladeda

• 6.  RE: Please I need help with AP-205 and Controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 04, 2022 11:33 AM
    No, because the IAP is not a controller. For Instant mode, all APs need to be Instant (or Universal) models.

And I would be careful with buying IAP-205 as they are older technology, end-of-sale for 3.5 years now, don't get an upgrade to Aruba Instant 8.x, and will be end-of support in 1.5 year from now.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 7.  RE: Please I need help with AP-205 and Controller

Posted May 03, 2022 03:53 PM
    In conclusion, in addition to the controller, do I have to buy a license to be able to use those APs?

Do you have any idea of the cost of those licenses?

Another question, what controller do you recommend for those APs?

Greetings and thanks for the reply.

Daniel Ladeda

• 8.  RE: Please I need help with AP-205 and Controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 03, 2022 04:29 PM
    Best to reach out to local Aruba Sales or an Aruba partner.
    Controller model depends on number of APs.

Onno Harms

• 9.  RE: Please I need help with AP-205 and Controller

Posted May 10, 2022 12:27 PM
    Hi, answering your questions:

do I have to buy a license to be able to use those APs?  Yes, at the very least AP Capacity anf if you want the firewall/roles feature the PEF licence to per AP.

Do you have any idea of the cost of those licenses? For a final price you'll need to contact and aruba reseller but you can estimate less than a $100USD per license per feature (ex. 100 per 1 Capacity and 100 per 1 PEF)

Another question, what controller do you recommend for those APs?  For those APs,  knowing they are almost end of life and asumming you have less than 16 APs you can use a 7005 that will reach end of sale soon or a 9004 that supports up to 32

The general recomendation will be not to use 2xx series since they are pretty old and almost end of support

Hope this helps.

Ulises Cazares