Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: 14 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Configuration is not allowed when CLI is running in a degraded state. CLI module is running in a degraded state.

This thread has been viewed 56 times
  • 1.  Configuration is not allowed when CLI is running in a degraded state. CLI module is running in a degraded state.

Posted May 19, 2021 11:22 AM
      |   view attached
    Hi Guys, I need a quick solution for this problem:
    Configuration is not allowed when CLI is running in a degraded state.
    CLI module is running in a degraded state.

Symptoms:
    the AP is a new device and supposed to be OK, but it is not, the Device is degraded and when you join the device to an existing Network Controller the AP is not visible; and you cannot get into the Web Server application of the AP itself, just permits SSH connections.  

Please help

------------------------------
    Eugenio Maltez

• 2.  RE: Configuration is not allowed when CLI is running in a degraded state. CLI module is running in a degraded state.
    Best Answer

Posted May 19, 2021 11:55 AM
    Hi Guys, 

I found by myself the reason because the AP-303-US was degraded (BTW it becomes degraded when the AP tries unsuccessfully to join an existing Network Controller) :

The AP-303-US has the Aruba OS 8.3.XXX and it was trying to join a Network Controller with the Aruba OS 6.3.XXXX, there is no way an AP with an OS higher joins an existing network controller running an older version. I tried the AP-303-US in an environment without HPE Aruba Network Controller and voila! Everything worked fine! Hope this helps.

Anyway, Thank you.

Eugenio Maltez

• 3.  RE: Configuration is not allowed when CLI is running in a degraded state. CLI module is running in a degraded state.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 19, 2021 11:58 AM
    Are you joining two different AP types (like AP315 and AP325, or AP315 and AP515)?
    In that case, you need to make sure that the firmware is upgraded to the same version before you join the new AP to the existing cluster.

If the APs are from the same type, this is only needed if the firmware versions are really far apart, but most times it will just work.

You can upgrade the firmware through Aruba Central, if you have that, or if running with local management you should put the new APs first in another, isolated network where no other virtual controller is active. Then you should be able to access the WebUI and can upgrade to the same build number as your existing APs. Then you can add the new AP to the existing cluster. If you have multiple new APs, you can add the additional ones after the first is up and running without the firmware upgrade step. Those will fetch the correct version from the APs already running of the same type.

When you are in a hurry, and need a quick resolution, you should contact Aruba Support.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 4.  RE: Configuration is not allowed when CLI is running in a degraded state. CLI module is running in a degraded state.

Posted Jan 19, 2023 09:42 PM
    Hi Herman, (or whoever has ideas ?! :-)   )

thanks for the info.  But what that finally boils down to is that I cannot add new IAP-515 to a cluster of IAP-215 to gradulally renew the cluster.

As the 215 are stuck at 8.6.0.20 or so and the 515 are are current with 8.11.xxx there is no way to put them together. And I cannot afford of going down to the level of the 215 as the most recent security fixes are usually in the most recent versions.

I do particularly think of the situation of replacing broken ones and in that case I may have to fetch 2ndhand 215 from ebay until I replace the whole cluster all at once with new ones.

Of course there could also be situations where I find out that I have more dense areas that could be covered by 515s better now.

Are there reasonable ways to kind of intersperse (?) members of two clusters with old and new ones in a reasonable way ?