Community Feedback

View Only
last person joined: 4 days ago 

How is the community doing? Do you have any questions or feedback related for the Airheads Community team? This is the place to let us know.
Expand all | Collapse all

Get IP by MAC address?

This thread has been viewed 36 times
  • 1.  Get IP by MAC address?

Posted Mar 10, 2022 01:38 PM
    Hello,

I have an Aruba 2930M and I am not aware of the command to get a device's IP from its MAC, and I my google skills suck today because I can't find any useful information pertaining to Aruba switches.

Any information is very much appreciated!

• 2.  RE: Get IP by MAC address?

MVP GURU
    Posted Mar 10, 2022 04:01 PM
    Have you tried looking at "show arp all-vrfs | include <MAC ADDRESS>"

You would want to run it on the switch that has a L3 address on that particular VLAN.

------------------------------
    Dustin Burns

Lead Mobility Engineer @Worldcom Exchange, Inc.

ACCX 1271| ACMX 509| ACSP | ACDA | MVP Guru 2022
    If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Get IP by MAC address?

Posted Apr 08, 2022 03:50 PM
    Geeze better late than never am I right?  Sorry, got pulled away to actual projects rather than me trying to learn this Aruba.

So... From my switch when I do show arp, all-vrfs is not an option.  I only have these options: vlan, <cr>.  Because I don't know what I am doing I made sure the mac was in the correct VLAN, 1 in this case, with show mac-address <MAC>.  It was in VLAN 1 on port 20, so I ran show arp vlan 1 | include c025a5e9f5a4, but don't get any output.

Google has not been kind to me and a lot of commands I find that are working for others are not working for me. :(

Thanks again for the help!

• 4.  RE: Get IP by MAC address?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 29, 2022 08:30 AM
    The all-vrfs may be more relevant for a Aruba CX switch. The 2930 series does not support VRFs so this can be omitted.

Try showing the entire arp table of the switch to begin with.
    show arp

If this comes back with nothing or very few IPs then it's likely the switch is only operating as a layer 2 switch. If Dustin mentions, the switch will need to have an IP address / interface on the VLAN that your device is using. If it does not you will likely not see anything in the arp table for that device.

You'll note that the MAC address entries in the arp table are in format xxxxxx-xxxxxx. So if you use the 'pipe include' to target your devices MAC address then you will need to use that same format. For example:

show arp | include 0001bc-2d1e55

• 5.  RE: Get IP by MAC address?

Posted May 26, 2022 12:00 PM
    When I do a show arp it only ever shows 5 results.  What I have found that I needed is these two commands and I use | include to find what I am looking for.

show mac-address

show lldp info remote-device​

I really appreciate the replies!  Sorry it took me so long to get back to this.