Wireless Water Cooler

View Only
last person joined: 10 days ago 

Hang out and socialize with other community members in this off topic forum. Everything from industry trends to hobbies and interests are welcomed!
Expand all | Collapse all

WiFi Ping - Wireless Testing and Diagnostics tool

This thread has been viewed 113 times
  • 1.  WiFi Ping - Wireless Testing and Diagnostics tool

Posted Dec 21, 2016 02:43 PM

Contents.

• Introduction and Background
    • Features
    • Import
    • CSV File
    • iPerf
    • Show all SSID's and BSSID's
    • Show Connected SSID's and BSSID's
    • Ping

Introduction and Background.

Wifi Ping is a wireless testing and diagnostics tool which runs on windows computers.

Why did I write this software?

I was called into a customer’s site that was having problems with an application they used disconnecting form their servers when they were walking around the building and into different rooms. The client advised that they had walked around running a continuous ping to their server and they were getting lots of ping drops or being disconnected from the wireless network.

The building was multiple levels with over 100 APs.

The questions that I asked myself

Were the packets being dropped when the wireless client is roaming from one AP to another when the client is walking around. How do I know what AP I’m connected to? So I started to write WiFi Ping.

I went in to the customer’s site and started to ping their server with WiFi Ping and walked around the areas of the building that the customer had done their testing. I carried floor plans of the customer’s site and marked at each spot with the Location ID from the WiFi Ping Tool that had either a BSSID change or large amounts of Dropped Pings. Once I got back into work I went through the logs and looked at each of the floor plans that I had marked.

What were my findings?

After looking over the floor plans and the logs I found the following information.

• When walking around, the customers wireless devices (Laptops) were not roaming to AP’s that were closer and the signal and RSSI were low.
    • When the customers devices did roam sometimes it connected at 2.4Ghz instead of 5Ghz, sometimes it connected to an AP that was either 1 or 2 floors above or below where I was testing even though there was an AP less than 5 meters away.

My Solution to help resolve the customers issue was.

• AP’s maximum power levels should be lowered.
    • Some of the 2.4Ghz radios should be turned off.
    • A Channel plan needs to be put in place
    • Wireless rates need to be modified

Features:

• Importing of BSSID’s to AP Names and AP Location’s.
    • iPerf Server and Client.
    • Ping
    • Show all SSID’s and BSSID’s.
    • Show Connected SSID’s and BSSID’s
    • Logging.
    • Graphing

Import:

BSSID to AP Name. This allows you to import a list of BSSID’s with the associated AP name so you can see what AP you are connected to.

There are two types of imports that can be done.

Once you have imported the file you will need to select which columns contain the BSSID , AP Name and the AP’s Location (Optional) 

Aruba (show ap bss-table) Export

The Export just needs to be saved as a text file

1.png

CSV File:

The CSV file does not require Headers. The BSSID , AP_Name and Location columns can be in any order in the CSV file. The Location column is optional.

Example:  40:e3:d6:68:e2:30,tttchcap10,Main Office near Door

2.png

When importing from a CSV file you can add a location of where the AP is located. This will show in the log files generated by WiFi Ping when running.

Note: You do not need to import any files for WiFi Ping to work.

iPerf:

iPerf is found under the Tools Menu.

There is a built in iPerf Server and iPerf Client. The iPerf Data Collected can be saved to a file.

3.png

Show all SSID's and BSSID's:

Show all SSID’s and BSSID’s is found under the Tools Menu.

This shows all SSID’s seen by the wireless client.

Information displayed includes SSID, BSSID, RSSI, Signal and Channel. The Data can be Refreshed and Exported.

4.png

Show Connected SSID's and BSSID's:

Show Connected SSID’s and BSSID’s is found under the Tools Menu.

You must be conneted to a SSID for this to work.

• This shows information about the SSID that the wireless client is currently connected to.
    • Information displayed includes SSID, BSSID, RSSI, Signal and Channel.
    • The Access Point that the wireless Client is connected to will be highlighted in blue. If you walk around and connect to a different access point then the new AP will become highlighted.
    • The data shown is continuously updating until you select “Show Connected SSID’s and BSSID’s” again from under the tools menu.
    • New BSSID’s will appear in the Graphs as you move around and connect to different AP’s or Radios

Note: There is no logging in Show Connected SSID’s and BSSID’s.5.png

Ping:

To use the Ping you must be connected to a wireless SSID.

1. Enter an IP Address or Hostname that is accessible from the Wireless network.
    2. Set the Ping Speed that you wish to use.
    3. Check or un-Check the Don’t Log Ping Drops, un-Checking this stops the ping drops being shown on the display and writing them to the log file. The number of pings sent, dropped and percentage will still be shown under the Ping Information.
    4. Set a Directory and filename for the log files. All filenames will be appended with the current date and time. If this has not been set the Default directory will be C:\temp and the Default filename will be Wifi-Ping-date-time.csv
    5. Click the Start Ping button and it will start logging data to the display and log file.

If you start walking around it will log when the wireless client changes to a new AP or Radio. The screen will flash Red on any changes.

Information displayed includes
    Reason (Started, Stopped, Timeout), SSID
    Current BSSID, Current RSSI, Current Signal, Current Channel, Current Speed
    Previous BSSID, Previous RSSI, Previous Signal, Previous Channel, Previous Speed and Time.

The same information is written to the log file but also includes the Location (if one was imported)

Capture.PNG

If anyone is interested in a copy please send me a private message and I’ll send you a link to the software.

Any feedback or Improvements would be most welcome

• 2.  RE: WiFi Ping - Wireless Testing and Diagnostics tool

Posted Feb 17, 2017 01:37 PM

Just moved to a Macbook running VMWare. 

I have the VM bridging to the Macbook's wireless card.

But when I launch, WifiPing doesn't see it. Getting message: 

No Wireless Adapters have been found

You can Only Use this Software as an iPerf Server

• 3.  RE: WiFi Ping - Wireless Testing and Diagnostics tool

Posted Feb 28, 2017 09:20 AM

@the.sleeper

Won't work with built-in adapter, it's the same on VMware player for Windows. The WLAN adapter is not offered to the VM as a WLAN adapter, but the network connection is simulated by VMware as a LAN adapter.

If you want to use a Wi-Fi adapter directly attached in a VM guest on your laptop, use a seperate Wi-Fi USB dongle and assign the USB dongle to your VM guest, that should work.

• 4.  RE: WiFi Ping - Wireless Testing and Diagnostics tool

Posted Mar 01, 2017 01:21 PM
    Nice tip, many thanks.

• 5.  RE: WiFi Ping - Wireless Testing and Diagnostics tool

Posted Mar 01, 2017 01:21 PM
    Nice tip, many thanks.

• 6.  RE: WiFi Ping - Wireless Testing and Diagnostics tool

Posted Sep 18, 2018 11:39 AM

Could you share this tool

@the.sleeper wrote:

Just moved to a Macbook running VMWare. 

I have the VM bridging to the Macbook's wireless card.

But when I launch, WifiPing doesn't see it. Getting message: 

No Wireless Adapters have been found

You can Only Use this Software as an iPerf Server

• 7.  RE: WiFi Ping - Wireless Testing and Diagnostics tool

Posted Sep 18, 2018 02:56 PM

This was written for windows and was never tested in a VM Environment.

It is something that I will need to look into and test, to see how the Wireless Cards are bridged and what low level information is available to be accessed.

Cheers

The Bald One

• 8.  RE: WiFi Ping - Wireless Testing and Diagnostics tool

Posted Sep 18, 2018 05:22 PM

This is an amazing and very useful tool for wireless troubleshooting. Thanks you for sharing with me.

Regards,

Kumaran

• 9.  RE: WiFi Ping - Wireless Testing and Diagnostics tool

Posted Mar 15, 2017 10:45 PM

Interesting ! Can u pls send me a software link!

• 10.  RE: WiFi Ping - Wireless Testing and Diagnostics tool

Posted May 04, 2017 02:01 PM

Hi I need a help.

I need to estimate the amount of day to make the AP´s after installation walking test using Air Magnet. It is a building of 12 floors and 17 AP´s per floor. 

Could someone help me?

regards 

• 11.  RE: WiFi Ping - Wireless Testing and Diagnostics tool

Posted Jul 21, 2017 04:00 AM

Thanks for sharing this tool!

I found it very useful, and it does exactly what I was looking for while troubleshooting roaming issues in Aruba networks.

As an improvment I was going to suggest to pick up AP names automatically from the Aruba Vendor-Specific Tags in Beacon frames sent when "Advertise AP Name" is enabled, however I just found out that feature isn't available on Instant APs[*], so it won't help me much, but it would still be a nice feature in Controller-based environments.

An additional (optional) third pane side by side with graphs showing all BSSIDs for the currently connected SSID's and their current signal level would be nice as well, so you get a picture of what is available to roam to, even though there are lots of other tools showing this.

[*] https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controllerless-Networks/Advertise-AP-Name-on-Instant-AP-103/m-p/286941/highlight/false#M17358

• 12.  RE: WiFi Ping - Wireless Testing and Diagnostics tool

Posted Sep 19, 2017 11:15 AM

Such as amazing tool. Thank you again for sharing this. I did have an inquiry about the RSSI and Signal Strength. How are you obtaining/calculating the RSSI? From what I've gathered, converting Signal from % to db involves the following formula:

quality = 2 * (dBm + 100)  where dBm: [-100 to -50]
    dBm = (quality / 2) - 100  where quality: [0 to 100]

However, your RSSI seem to be independent of the Signal -> which is very good in my case. I've come across a very weird issue where a Windows 10 Thinkpad 11e (Broadcom 802.11ac Adapter) - is connecting to very bizarre APs on the other side of a building. I believe the driver/OS is not intpreting the signal accurately. I first noticed this when  I saw a neighbor SSID in my office (normally -80 to -85) on my laptop and smart phone - show up as 100% on this netbook. When I ran your Wi-Fi Ping tool long-term, I can see the signal % flucuate from 100% (not accurate) to 2-13% (more accurate) - but the RSSI value is always in the -88 to -92 value -> which definitely seems accurate. Basically I'm trying to determine if this is an OS Issue (Microsoft) or Driver Issue (Broadcom).

• 13.  RE: WiFi Ping - Wireless Testing and Diagnostics tool

Posted Sep 19, 2017 03:35 PM

Hi cbjohns.

All the functionality is used via the Windows Native Wifi APIs.

I do no Calculation or Minipulation any of the values that are feed back from the API's 

RSSI
    The received signal strength indicator (RSSI) value,
    in units of decibels referenced to 1.0 milliwatts (dBm),
    as detected by the wireless LAN interface driver for the AP or peer station.

Signal
    The link quality reported by the wireless LAN interface driver.
    The link quality value ranges from 0 through 100.
    A value of 100 specifies the highest link quality.

I hope this helps

One thing that i found when testing Laptops, that were connecting or stay connected to an AP that was not the closest, was that i had to change the Roaming Aggressiveness of the wireless card in the Properties / Advanced setting.

Cheers

The Bald One

• 14.  RE: WiFi Ping - Wireless Testing and Diagnostics tool

Posted Sep 19, 2017 05:26 PM

@The Bald One wrote:

Hi cbjohns.

All the functionality is used via the Windows Native Wifi APIs.

I do no Calculation or Minipulation any of the values that are feed back from the API's 

RSSI
    The received signal strength indicator (RSSI) value,
    in units of decibels referenced to 1.0 milliwatts (dBm),
    as detected by the wireless LAN interface driver for the AP or peer station.

Signal
    The link quality reported by the wireless LAN interface driver.
    The link quality value ranges from 0 through 100.
    A value of 100 specifies the highest link quality.

I hope this helps

One thing that i found when testing Laptops, that were connecting or stay connected to an AP that was not the closest, was that i had to change the Roaming Aggressiveness of the wireless card in the Properties / Advanced setting.

Cheers

The Bald One

Thank you! That definitely does help! I'll see if the roaming aggressiveness setting has any affect. If it doesn't, your app has definitely helped point to a driver issue we're seeing with one of our high schools. We actually just came back and I noticed another SSID show up at full bars in Windows - but very weak RSSI. Thank you again for offering this app.

I was curious if there were a couple features you could add. Possibly a drop down - or quick method of running powershell commands in Windows 10 - such as:

• "netsh wlan show wlanreport" (Windows 10 only command) - builds a really nice wlanreport of windows event logs, network profiles, certificates, driver version.
    • Get-NetAdapter, Restart-NetAdapter, are a couple powershell commands that might be happy. I've had to use the "Restart-NetAdapter" commandlet to reset a network adapter that wouldn't show any "networks" end with toggling the wi-fi/airport mode on/off.

• 15.  RE: WiFi Ping - Wireless Testing and Diagnostics tool

Posted Jan 15, 2018 05:44 AM

Great tool to check roaming of a client.

thanks

• 16.  RE: WiFi Ping - Wireless Testing and Diagnostics tool

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 02, 2019 09:18 PM

Please send me a copy of wifi ping. Thanks

• 17.  RE: WiFi Ping - Wireless Testing and Diagnostics tool

Posted Sep 19, 2017 04:22 PM

May I also get the link.  I would to add this to my toolbox if possible.  Looks.interesting

• 18.  RE: WiFi Ping - Wireless Testing and Diagnostics tool

Posted Sep 24, 2017 04:49 PM

Thx for creating the WiFi Ping software can you pls send my the link to download the software? i’m  facing similair problems on our wlan.

greeting Mark

• 19.  RE: WiFi Ping - Wireless Testing and Diagnostics tool

Posted Sep 26, 2017 09:54 AM

Can I please get a download link to try the software?

• 20.  RE: WiFi Ping - Wireless Testing and Diagnostics tool

Posted Oct 27, 2017 02:58 AM

The ability to upload the controller output of the 'show ap bss-table' saved us loads of time in locating a roaming issue we were having. 

It appeared to happen all arround the campus but when using this application we quickly noticed it was happening after the users roaming to mesh AP's in our elevators.

So much thanks for letting me use the application! Saved me alot of troubleshooting and going through the logs! 

• 21.  RE: WiFi Ping - Wireless Testing and Diagnostics tool

Posted Oct 30, 2017 05:35 PM

Thanks for sharing, we are facing similar issue in our office. Please provide the download link. Thank you in advanced.

• 22.  RE: WiFi Ping - Wireless Testing and Diagnostics tool

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 07, 2017 04:27 AM

Hi,seems like this is the tool I am looking for to help troubleshoot an roaming issue. Please share with me where I can get the tool. Thanks in advance.

[Update 2017-11-10]: Thanks for sharing the tool. It was great to isolate roaming issue especially moving from floor to floor. In my case, it was one of the AP configured with max power and reach beyong the designated floor and holding on the client instead of letting the client roam to closest AP. Great tool for troubleshooting.

• 23.  RE: WiFi Ping - Wireless Testing and Diagnostics tool

Posted Nov 28, 2017 03:51 AM

Hi,

I  ám very intrested in your  'WIFI ping tool', would you be so kind to share the link with me ?

Regards

Goen

• 24.  RE: WiFi Ping - Wireless Testing and Diagnostics tool

Posted Dec 26, 2017 04:53 AM

Hi,

I'd also appreciate a link to download your application. Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

• 25.  RE: WiFi Ping - Wireless Testing and Diagnostics tool

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 04, 2018 11:17 AM

Great. Could you please share the link to me. Thanks.

• 26.  RE: WiFi Ping - Wireless Testing and Diagnostics tool

Posted May 22, 2018 10:15 AM

Could you share the software link please?

• 27.  RE: WiFi Ping - Wireless Testing and Diagnostics tool

Posted Jun 04, 2018 07:10 PM

Thank you again for sharing this tool. Its amazing app and very helpfull

• 28.  RE: WiFi Ping - Wireless Testing and Diagnostics tool

Posted Jun 15, 2018 10:01 AM

Thanks for sharing the link. It was a great help for me to use this tool.

Is it aloud to set a link in the Unifi Network forum. I think this tool could be a help for many.

• 29.  RE: WiFi Ping - Wireless Testing and Diagnostics tool

Posted Jul 09, 2018 07:55 PM

Hi, and Thanks!

This tool assisted in diagnosing roaming issues we were encountering

To me, it is very well thought out and easy to use.

Based on the fact that i did not read the tools usage/capabilities all the way through, but just got the app and dived in, as i had read enough to know that it would most likely be what i was looking for

In just using the tool, it made sense as to what it was doing and i was able to work out what i was doing very quickly - and after coming back here, and fully reading the post, it was all there ;)

Yes it would have been better to read the post all the way through, but after using the tool, reading the post is a lot easier to relate to.

Suggestion :- Only a minor issue

Are you able to make the window resizable? or have the graphs pop out in their own window?

On my laptop, the only way i could get the full pane with the graphs, was to hide the start bar - and even then it was still cut off a little

Thanks again for this tool!

• 30.  RE: WiFi Ping - Wireless Testing and Diagnostics tool

Posted Jul 12, 2018 03:40 AM

Can I get the link as well please?

Much appreciated!!

• 31.  RE: WiFi Ping - Wireless Testing and Diagnostics tool

Posted Sep 04, 2018 04:19 AM
    Could you send me the software? Would be really handy to figure out some roaming issues we have... Thanks!

• 32.  RE: WiFi Ping - Wireless Testing and Diagnostics tool

Posted Sep 13, 2018 09:40 AM

could you share the donwload link, thanks!

• 33.  RE: WiFi Ping - Wireless Testing and Diagnostics tool

Posted Sep 18, 2018 10:25 AM

I'm experiencing similar roaming issues, can i get a copy of that software?

Thanks,

Kumaran

• 34.  RE: WiFi Ping - Wireless Testing and Diagnostics tool

Posted Sep 18, 2018 10:53 AM

I would like the link as well.  

Thanks

• 35.  RE: WiFi Ping - Wireless Testing and Diagnostics tool

Posted Sep 18, 2018 11:38 AM

could you share this tool?

• 36.  RE: WiFi Ping - Wireless Testing and Diagnostics tool

Posted Oct 11, 2018 08:59 PM

Nice tools. 
    This program very help me to diagnostic roaming in ap

:)

• 37.  RE: WiFi Ping - Wireless Testing and Diagnostics tool

Posted Oct 14, 2018 11:47 AM

Could you please share the download link for Wifi ping with me?  Thanks

• 38.  RE: WiFi Ping - Wireless Testing and Diagnostics tool

Posted Feb 08, 2019 04:25 AM

Please.

I need to test this tool.

We have problems with roaming

• 39.  RE: WiFi Ping - Wireless Testing and Diagnostics tool

Posted Feb 11, 2019 04:31 AM

drop me your @ and i will send you the tool

• 40.  RE: WiFi Ping - Wireless Testing and Diagnostics tool

Posted Feb 12, 2019 02:33 AM

Goen,

Could you please send me the tool?  My email is rpg776@gmail.com.  Thanks!

• 41.  RE: WiFi Ping - Wireless Testing and Diagnostics tool

Posted Feb 12, 2019 02:46 AM

• 42.  RE: WiFi Ping - Wireless Testing and Diagnostics tool

Posted Feb 12, 2019 01:41 PM

If you would like a copy of the software please private message me.

If you click on my avatar then on the right hand side of the screen there is a contact me area that you can go to to send a private message.

This way you will get the Latest version of this software

Cheers
    The Bald One

• 43.  RE: WiFi Ping - Wireless Testing and Diagnostics tool

Posted Feb 12, 2019 02:01 PM

i removed the files - was not my intention to steal your post :) however if you can send me the latest version of the ping tool- much appriciated.

Re

Goen

• 44.  RE: WiFi Ping - Wireless Testing and Diagnostics tool

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 18, 2019 09:32 AM

Has there been any updates to Wifi Ping since version 4.2.0.0?

• 45.  RE: WiFi Ping - Wireless Testing and Diagnostics tool

Posted Apr 18, 2019 08:02 PM

I have been working on a new version of the WifiPing tool which has been a complete rewrite.

i have fixed a couple of bugs that were to do with importing the BSSID's from an Aruba 'show ap bss-table' where ther were spaces in AP names.

I have also added a set of PowerShell commands and custom commands area.

At this stage I have not had time to completly test it.

If you would like a copy please private message me asking for a copy of WifiPing2.

Im also interested if anyone has any sugestions on improvements or features that would like to see added.

Cheers

The Bald One

• 46.  RE: WiFi Ping - Wireless Testing and Diagnostics tool

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 19, 2019 12:14 AM

Please forward me a copy of WifiPing2. Thanks

• 47.  RE: WiFi Ping - Wireless Testing and Diagnostics tool

Posted Apr 22, 2019 04:44 PM

Hi Bald One,

I'd like a copy of Wifi Ping 2 2 :-)

Cheers,

Dante

• 48.  RE: WiFi Ping - Wireless Testing and Diagnostics tool

Posted May 31, 2019 06:47 AM

Hi, I was wondering if there is a new version. Maybe a nice feature will be to also see the ap name (if advertised by the AP) so you can see roaming on AP naming instead of MAC address :)

Keep up the good work. 

Thanks!

• 49.  RE: WiFi Ping - Wireless Testing and Diagnostics tool

Posted May 31, 2019 03:16 PM

Hi.

Yes there is a new Version. Wifi Ping 2.

You need to import the AP names into the tool. If you have a Aruba Controller you can do a 'show ap bss-table' or if you have a cluser of IAP's you can can go to 'More / Support' and selete 'AP BSSID Table' for the command list. Copy the Data and save it to a file. You can then import it..

I will private message were you can download the new WifiPing2.

Cheers

The Bald One 

• 50.  RE: WiFi Ping - Wireless Testing and Diagnostics tool

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 03, 2019 08:54 PM

please send me a copy of the updated tool

Thanks

• 51.  RE: WiFi Ping - Wireless Testing and Diagnostics tool

Posted Jul 29, 2019 09:33 PM

Hi

Could you send me the link to the Wifi Ping 2 utility?

Regards,

• 52.  RE: WiFi Ping - Wireless Testing and Diagnostics tool

Posted May 10, 2023 05:57 PM

Hi,

Can I get a link to this software as well?

Thanks,

• 53.  RE: WiFi Ping - Wireless Testing and Diagnostics tool

Posted Aug 01, 2022 01:36 PM
    Hi!

I know this thread has several years, and probably nobody will answer but...

Could I get the link to download latest version?

What about uploading it to some public place like github ?

I looked for a similar (free) software but it is weird nobody needed something like this!

• 54.  RE: WiFi Ping - Wireless Testing and Diagnostics tool

Posted Aug 17, 2022 08:50 AM
    After trying app (only windows .exe file) just a bit I can say it works good and makes easier for Aruba networks.

Through finally I found an APP that could do something similar (WifiMan from Ubiquity).
    Iit doesn't have the import AP and seems you must write each AP 'name' by hand, but once you do it it has many more options.
    If someday they add a batch AP name import option it could be a very handy Android app.
    I will be using both apps :)

• 55.  RE: WiFi Ping - Wireless Testing and Diagnostics tool

Posted Aug 11, 2022 10:12 PM
    Such a great job on the application man. Much appreciated, you shall be, says Yodeling.
    Could you please share me the link?

• 56.  RE: WiFi Ping - Wireless Testing and Diagnostics tool

Posted Aug 12, 2022 02:09 PM
    I would very much like to download the tool as well

• 57.  RE: WiFi Ping - Wireless Testing and Diagnostics tool

Posted Aug 15, 2022 01:46 PM
    I'd very much appreciate the link to the tool as well. Thanks for it's creation!

Todd

• 58.  RE: WiFi Ping - Wireless Testing and Diagnostics tool

Posted Oct 31, 2022 03:39 AM
    Hi,  could you give me a download link ?

Thanks

• 59.  RE: WiFi Ping - Wireless Testing and Diagnostics tool

Posted Nov 01, 2023 11:20 AM

Hi

Could you send me the link to the Wifi Ping 2 utility?

Regards,