Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Comware, ProCurve, ProVision and Aruba Switches

This thread has been viewed 71 times
  • 1.  Comware, ProCurve, ProVision and Aruba Switches

Posted Nov 29, 2018 09:25 AM
    Hi everyone,

Please can you clear me up the difference between Comware, ProCurve and ProVision switches and how are related to Aruba switches?

Regards,
    Julián

• 2.  RE: Comware, ProCurve, ProVision and Aruba Switches
    Best Answer

MVP GURU
    Posted Nov 29, 2018 09:44 AM

Comware and ProVision are (Network Switch) operating systems brand names.

Comware (5 and 7) is actually used on Data Center - and some Access too - oriented H3C/HPE FlexNetwork switches (and on some old 3Com Switch too) .

HP ProVision was the NOS name of OS running int Switch of almost all HP ProCurve marketing brand/networking division.

HP ProCurve (see above).

Actually the Aruba ArubaOS-Switch NOS is the (re)branded name of HP ProVision NOS...so those campus/access HP ProCurve switch not EoL actually (re)branded into Aruba are now running the ArubaOS-Switch.

ArubaOS-CX is instead the new - from scratch - NOS used on platforms like Aruba 8400X and 8320 (Campus Core).

• 3.  RE: Comware, ProCurve, ProVision and Aruba Switches

Posted Nov 30, 2018 10:22 AM

Hi Parnassus,

Thanks very much for your interest. Then I understand Aruba switches run ProVision OS (except ArubaOS-CX which I am clear they are designed by Aruba from scratch). Just run ProVision OS or does Aruba have made some improvement into that ProVision OS?

Regards,

Julián

• 4.  RE: Comware, ProCurve, ProVision and Aruba Switches

MVP GURU
    Posted Nov 30, 2018 10:32 AM

Actually marketed Aruba switch series - Aruba 8000 switch series excluded - so Aruba 2530, 2540, 2920, 2930F, 2930M, 3810M and 5400R zl2...run on ArubaOS-Switch which, as said, is the rebranded name of well known HP ProVision OS (HP ProVision is also the name of the various ASIC generations - now ProVision 6th generation is the current one - still used on those switches these days).

With ArubaOS-Switch (being the rename of ProVision OS), Aruba started with the legacy features provided by ProVision OS and enhanced them under continuous development.

• 5.  RE: Comware, ProCurve, ProVision and Aruba Switches

Posted Nov 30, 2018 10:42 AM
    Hi,

So I understand it is something like:

ArubaOS-Switch = ProVisionOS + enhancements.

Regards,
    Julián

• 6.  RE: Comware, ProCurve, ProVision and Aruba Switches

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 30, 2018 11:08 AM
    Just to somewhat clarify, there are significant core feature enhancements. It was not just a rebrand.

• 7.  RE: Comware, ProCurve, ProVision and Aruba Switches

Posted Dec 18, 2018 06:43 PM

I think we can try this summary in order to give us an idea of what is an Switch OS Name and what is a "Switches Portfolio" name:

OS - Switch Portfolio Name (Product Line) - Brand Name
    CatOS - Catalyst - Cisco
    IOS - Catalyst - Cisco
    NX-OS - Nexus - Cisco
    VRP - S Series/Cloud Engine - Huawei
    Comware - FlexNetwork/FlexFabric - 3Com/H3C
    Provision - Procurve - HP (rebranded to ArubaOS for switches)
    ArubaOS - Aruba Switches - HPE
    ArubaOS-CX - Aruba Switches - HPE

It is just an analogy to what happens with other vendors.

Regards

• 8.  RE: Comware, ProCurve, ProVision and Aruba Switches

Posted Feb 28, 2022 12:11 AM
    Correct me if I am wrong.

It is my understanding that both HP ProCurve and Aruba switches make us of the same NOS (ArubaOS), 
    and that they both have the same set of commands.
    right or wrong?

Thank you.

------------------------------
    Obioma Okoroafor

• 9.  RE: Comware, ProCurve, ProVision and Aruba Switches

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 28, 2022 11:38 AM
    Because of history, there are multiple Aruba/HP/HPE switch lines. At some point in time, the switches that were initially HP ProCurve, and ran the Provision OS, like 2530/2920/3810/5400R, have been renamed to Aruba and ArubaOS Switch operating system. While the name is different, the commands are just the same (because it is renamed). These are different from the ArubaOS MAS (Mobility Access Switch, which is the legacy Aruba switch), Comware switches, and AOS-CX. The elsewhere on the page mentioned CLI comparison guide will show you the configuration commands between those switches (except for MAS).

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 10.  RE: Comware, ProCurve, ProVision and Aruba Switches

Posted Sep 12, 2022 03:55 PM
    It adds to the confusion that certain older documentation still shows configuration examples for "ArubaOS MAS" as just "ArubaOS", which is different than ArubaOS now based on ProVision OS.

• 11.  RE: Comware, ProCurve, ProVision and Aruba Switches

Posted Sep 20, 2019 09:39 AM
      |   view attached

Yes, this attachment is for others who are converting/transitioning from hpe provision to arubaos-cx.

After discussing, reading, and searching, you-tubing, and complaining, I found the attached command compare document.

CLI:  AOS-CS versus AOS-switch(hpe provision) versus Cisco

Attachment(s)