Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

6300F or 2930F?

This thread has been viewed 20 times
  • 1.  6300F or 2930F?

Posted Nov 21, 2019 11:35 AM

We're doing a network refresh and would like to go with Dynamic Segmentation. Just wondering how people feel about the new 6300F, should we go with those right away?

I've understood 6300F is something like 1.5-2x the price of 2930F. So should we spend the extra money or just get 2930F?

Do you think 6300F automation and analytics will be so much better in next few years that we would regret getting 2930F's? How would NetEdit 2.0 change things? Or do you believe that there would be that much 3rd party Python scripts for 6300F in next couple years that we would miss something with 2930F's?

• 2.  RE: 6300F or 2930F?

MVP GURU
    Posted Nov 21, 2019 08:13 PM

Hi!

@pubjohndoe wrote:

Do you think 6300F automation and analytics will be so much better in next few years that we would regret getting 2930F's?
    How would NetEdit 2.0 change things?
    Or do you believe that there would be that much 3rd party Python scripts for 6300F in next couple years that we would miss something with 2930F's?

Three good questions.

Provided that Aruba 6300M/F Switch series isn't directly comparable (like for like) with Aruba 2930F Switch series...let me add a corner case scenario involving one feature I think is very desiderable when dealing with VSF in general (especially when VSF is used as ToR/MoR/EoR or Core and not on access/distribution)...and that is still missing on VSF implementation developed on ArubaOS-CX is the possibility to sequence the update process to let VSF Members to reboot sequencially and not concurrently...you can understand why that is so important (and yes...only VSF deployed with two Aruba 5400R zl2 members lets you to do that, it's called Fast Software Updare FSU...so VSF over ArubaOS-Switch has its limitations too). Don't get me wrong but I expected less restrictions (or more features) on VSF implemented on AOS-CX versus VSF implemented on AOS-Switch...in that VSF on Aruba 2930F and VSF on Aruba 6300F/M seem pretty much similar.

• 3.  RE: 6300F or 2930F?

Posted Dec 08, 2019 07:31 AM

From my early look at the documentation for AOS-CX it seems to me that 2930F is currently more feature rich for network access closet scenarios. Also better integrated with ClearPass.

But maybe it's just the docs that are missing some info. Would also show that this is not a mature product tho.

I had to take a similiar decision this month, but was 2930F vs 6300M. Went with the newest 6300M due to better uplinks, NBase-T on all ports and PoE 60W. By 2x the cost. I am not planning to put them in production imediatelly, so in my case I can wait some time to get all the features I need.

My bet is that AOS-CX will get more features in the future, more future-proof, being a better fit for a refresh.

• 4.  RE: 6300F or 2930F?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 08, 2019 01:02 PM

You are correct that the cost of the 6300F is more than the 2930F but also keep in mind that the 6300 series is inline with the 3810 switches. Although you are looking at the 6300F model feature wise it is still more in line with the 3810 even though it is the fixed version and not modular. 

As for which one to go with all depends on your needs and preference. If you already have some Aruba switches then you might want to keep the OS type the same but if this is a new install alltogether then I'd weigh the differences and see if the price increase is worth it. 

The 6300F will give you the NAE which is very powerful so if this is something you would use then I'd seriously look at this. The 6300F also gives you SFP56 uplinks to allow you to go 25G uplinks or 50G VSF stacking. 

They both will integrate with ClearPass so I wouldn't worry about that portion of it. 

The 2930F has 90 days of 24x7 phone support and 8x5 phone support for the life of the product while the 6300F has 90 days fo 8x5 phone support and then you would have to purchase support after the 90 days. If you require 24x7 support you would have to uplift to that for both products. 

If you are looking at using Aruba Central to manage the switches the 2930F is supported in Central today while the 6300F isn't so take that into consideration as well. 

Hope this helps and good luck on your decision. You can't go wrong with either one. 

• 5.  RE: 6300F or 2930F?

Posted Dec 08, 2019 01:11 PM

Yep both will probably work fine as we're mainly interested in the Dynamic Segmentation feature. We have few months to see if the NAE for example would be worth the price increase or if we should just go with 2930F or 2930M (if someone decides we need dual PSUs).

• 6.  RE: 6300F or 2930F?

Posted Aug 03, 2022 10:24 PM
    2.5 years later...  what did you go for and would you change anything?  we're looking at the 6300F to act as ToR switches and provide a 25/50Gb links between floors.

TIA

• 7.  RE: 6300F or 2930F?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 06, 2022 04:47 PM
    As you see 6300F ToR with 25G is supported correct?  50G agree!