Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Device fingerprimting stopped working

This thread has been viewed 16 times
  • 1.  Device fingerprimting stopped working

MVP EXPERT
    Posted May 06, 2022 05:28 AM
    Hi
    I have a number of 2930 switches ( WC.16.10.18)  configured  to  implement device fingerprinting. I have this running in a home ( baby switch WC 16.11.4)  where it just works through reboots and all.

Just logged onto my work switches ( uptime 50 days ... and show device-fingerprinting client-details shows ......  nothing , no client details at all. nothing in log files to indicate device fingerprinting is happening at all .

Short of rebooting switch ( cant do that without a lot of pain) any idea what i can do to start this. ?
    It's not just 1 switch, its all of them configured to implement device fingerprinting

Have enabled lldp,cdp,http,dhcp 

would expect to see windows devices, aruba APs  and a few other stuff

dhcp-snoop  works just fine so can see mac addresses / ip addresses on a switch port

A

------------------------------
    Alex Sharaz

• 2.  RE: Device fingerprimting stopped working

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 06, 2022 06:57 AM

Hi Alex,

You can try to flap a port, where DFP is applied and check the status with "show device-fingerprinting client-status". What is the status for this port?

I am pretty sure you got the DFP technical whitepaper document. Did you go through the troubleshooting steps described there?

Stanislav Naydenov

• 3.  RE: Device fingerprimting stopped working

MVP EXPERT
    Posted May 06, 2022 07:27 AM
    Hi,
    Fingerprints seem to have come back, read somewhere that they are cleared off switch every 30 mins, just logged onto switches and fingerprints back

A

• 4.  RE: Device fingerprimting stopped working

MVP EXPERT
    Posted May 06, 2022 07:24 AM
    Crisis over, just logged onto switches and all the fngerprints have appeared again.  Just read that the fingerprints     are only held on the  switch for 30 mins, so  guess i hit the period bewteen them being deleted and recreated
    A

Alex Sharaz

• 5.  RE: Device fingerprimting stopped working

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 06, 2022 07:42 AM
    Hi Alex,

yes, that's correct (details are removed after 30 minutes). Good that you have clarified the situation already.

Stanislav Naydenov