Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: 14 hours ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

ArubaOS-CX configuring igmp snooping drop unknown per vlan

This thread has been viewed 25 times
  • 1.  ArubaOS-CX configuring igmp snooping drop unknown per vlan

Posted Apr 04, 2022 01:00 AM
    Hi All,
    I'm configuring our first aruba 6100CX  and am trying to enable 'igmp snooping drop unknown' on certain specific vlans, but can't get my head around what the manuals are saying. The manuals say I need to run 'ip igmp snooping drop-unknown vlan-exclusive' globally to be applied per vlan, but how do I tell it which vlans ? I have a scenario where I need igmp snooping running on all vlans but 'drop unknown' only on some, (I come from a comware background).

what have I missed ?

Cheers
    Jason

------------------------------
    ITS Infostructure

• 2.  RE: ArubaOS-CX configuring igmp snooping drop unknown per vlan

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 05, 2022 06:25 AM

Hi Jason,

"vlan-shared" is maybe clear – this acts as a global filter across all VLANs.

I have to agree with you, that vlan-exclusive filter is not that clearly described in the guide, but for me the following vlan ports should be affected:

-Where IGMP queriers or PIM routers are detected

-Administratively "always forward" ports (under interface config: switch(config-if)# ip igmp snooping forward vlan vlan_list)

Stanislav Naydenov

• 3.  RE: ArubaOS-CX configuring igmp snooping drop unknown per vlan

Posted Apr 20, 2022 09:57 PM
    Hi Stanislav,
    Thanks, that makes more sense. Does 'ip igmp snooping forward vlan <X>' take precedence if drop-unknown is configured  in either vlan-shared or vlan-exclusive mode) ?

Thanks
    Jason

ITS Infostructure

• 4.  RE: ArubaOS-CX configuring igmp snooping drop unknown per vlan

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 03, 2022 05:22 AM
    Hi Jason,

I haven't tested it but according to the documentation (Multicast guide), with the "forward" option traffic should be always forwarded on these configured ports. So I think it should take precedence.
    https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/AOS-CX/10.09/HTML/multicast_4100i-6000-6100/Content/Chp_igmp_sno/igmp_sno_cmds/ip-igm-sno-for.htm?Highlight=ip%20igmp%20snooping%20forward%20vlan

If you already performed some tests, it will be good if you share your results.

Stanislav Naydenov