Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

AOS-CX M-LAG & Spanning-tree flapping

This thread has been viewed 63 times
  • 1.  AOS-CX M-LAG & Spanning-tree flapping

Posted Mar 01, 2022 10:16 PM
    Hi Everyone,
    I have deployed a campus collapsed LAN core by using a pair of 8400X in VSX and connecting to access switches of 5400R zl2 via M-LAG link of 2x 10G ports, along with spanning tree mode mstp as the illustrated photo for reference.

However, there is an issue occurred when an access switch reboots after a power loss, which causes Topology changes on lag10 and drops traffic of the other access switch on lag20. This leads to multiple end-devices losing their connection to the gateway as well as service link corruption.
    hpe-mstpd[2916]: Event|2011|LOG_INFO|AMM|1/5|Topology Change received on port lag10 for MSTI 1
    hpe-mstpd[2916]: Event|2011|LOG_INFO|AMM|1/5|Topology Change received on port lag10 for MSTI 2
    hpe-mstpd[2916]: Event|2011|LOG_INFO|AMM|1/5|Topology Change received on port lag10 for MSTI 3
    hpe-mstpd[2916]: Event|2011|LOG_INFO|AMM|1/5|Topology Change received on port lag10 for CIST

Please advise me on how to mitigate this issue or suggest the best practice in STP config between the aggregation VSX and access switch!

This is the VSX M-LAG config on VSX pair.
    interface lag 10 multi-chassis
    no shutdown
    no routing
    vlan trunk native 1
    vlan trunk allowed all
    lacp mode active
    lacp fallback
    spanning-tree root-guard
    exit
    interface lag 20 multi-chassis
    no shutdown
    no routing
    vlan trunk native 1
    vlan trunk allowed all
    lacp mode active
    lacp fallback
    spanning-tree root-guard
    exit
    interface 1/9/2
    no shutdown
    mtu 9100
    lag 10
    exit
    interface 1/9/3
    no shutdown
    mtu 9100
    lag 20
    exit
    Spanning tree config on VSX pair
    spanning-tree
    spanning-tree mode mstp
    spanning-tree priority 0
    spanning-tree trap topology-change instance 0
    spanning-tree config-name productionmstp
    spanning-tree config-revision 1
    spanning-tree instance 1 vlan 2-99,101-199,888,4000-4094
    spanning-tree instance 2 vlan 200-299
    spanning-tree instance 3 vlan 100,1000-1099

Default Spanning tree config on access switch
    spanning-tree
    spanning-tree mode mstp
    spanning-tree Trk1 priority 4
    spanning-tree A1-A20 admin-edge-port
    spanning-tree A1-A20 root-guard tcn-guard bpdu-protection

LACP config on access switch
    interface Trk1
    tagged vlan 3,11,40,100-101,888,4000
    untagged vlan 1
    spanning-tree priority 4 loop-guard
    exit​

------------------------------
    Jax

• 2.  RE: AOS-CX M-LAG & Spanning-tree flapping

Posted Mar 02, 2022 03:32 AM
    Hi Jax

it seems as you are using multiple instances on the 8400 switches but only 1 on the access switch. Why don't you match the MSTP configuration?

Regards,
    Thomas

Thomas Siegenthaler

• 3.  RE: AOS-CX M-LAG & Spanning-tree flapping

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 02, 2022 09:16 AM
    Hi Jax,

There are no name, revision and instances configured for MSTP on the access switches. Should all switches reside in the same region or how the desired spanning-tree topology should look like?
    Two switches will become members of the same region, if the following is matching: same name, version and the same VLANs to instance mapping

If I understand your config correctly, the switches are now in different regions and the topology change is considered as CST topology change.

Additionally make sure you have configured manually a VSX system-mac for the VSX cluster for stable STP operation.

Stanislav Naydenov

• 4.  RE: AOS-CX M-LAG & Spanning-tree flapping

Posted Mar 02, 2022 10:16 PM
    Thank you for your kind advice, Thomas and Stanislav!

I have applied the same stp config to the access switches (ASW). While doing this, the topology change message still broadcasts and then causing the unchanged ASW flapping. Is there a way to mitigate this, anyway?

hpe-mstpd[2916]: Event|2011|LOG_INFO|AMM|1/5|Topology Change received on port lag10 for CIST

Jax

• 5.  RE: AOS-CX M-LAG & Spanning-tree flapping

Posted Mar 07, 2022 11:03 PM
    Ok, I have made a change on each access switch by the following procedures:
    1/ set bpdu-filter on trunk port
     spanning-tree bpdu-filter
    2/ re-config stp to match the aggregation switches.
    spanning-tree config-name productionmstp
    spanning-tree config-revision 1
    spanning-tree instance 1 vlan 2-99 101-199 888 4000-4094
    spanning-tree instance 2 vlan 200-299
    spanning-tree instance 3 vlan 100 999-1099
    spanning-tree trap topology-change instance cst
    3/ config all edge ports
     spanning-tree admin-edge-port
     spanning-tree root-guard tcn-guard bpdu-protection
    4/ remove bpdu-filter on trunk port.

Jax

• 6.  RE: AOS-CX M-LAG & Spanning-tree flapping

Posted May 09, 2022 10:30 PM
    Hi Jax, did you get to the bottom of your problem? I have a similar setup so keen to hear what you found.

THanks

Campbell Simpson

• 7.  RE: AOS-CX M-LAG & Spanning-tree flapping

Posted May 10, 2022 08:02 AM
    Do you need to have multiple instances? It would be a lot simpler to have just the instance 0 (CST) for everything. All the links are active with LACP, so the load balancing we used to do back before clustering options (like IRF, VSF, VSX, etc) were available are no longer necessary.

Richard Litchfield
    Airheads MVP 2020, 2021, 2022

• 8.  RE: AOS-CX M-LAG & Spanning-tree flapping

Posted May 10, 2022 11:35 PM
    I have a 2 layer design with a L3 core pair of VSX switches running an MST region and then L2 access AOS switches running their own individual regions with LAG uplinks to the VSX pair. It was a case of following the 'VSX Configuration Best Practices for Aruba CX 6400, 8320, 8325, 8360, 8400' version 1.3 which didn't really discuss the access layer but did include examples for AOS switches, but without setting the config-name or config-version. So I've fallen into doing this design without realising it likely isn't ideal. Spanning tree is really only there to mitigate against miss configuration of LAG uplinks and to protect against the access layer switch ports. It's working fine with no port blocking occurring under normal conditions and will correctly block ports on the access layer when a loop is introduced.

I'm trying to figure out if I need to go to the trouble of migrating all the switches at site into a common MST region or if the multiple MST regions and VSX core switch as CST root is ok

Campbell Simpson

• 9.  RE: AOS-CX M-LAG & Spanning-tree flapping

Posted May 11, 2022 04:24 AM
    I would suggest you change it now rather than dealing with it at some future point when there may be other issues.

Richard Litchfield
    Airheads MVP 2020, 2021, 2022

• 10.  RE: AOS-CX M-LAG & Spanning-tree flapping

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 11, 2022 05:05 AM
    By curiosity, doesn't p.27 of VSX Config best practices cover the access switch configuration for single MSTP instance ?

Vincent Giles

• 11.  RE: AOS-CX M-LAG & Spanning-tree flapping

Posted May 12, 2022 08:58 PM
    Pg 27 does cover off the access switch for an Aruba CX access switch. I'm running 2930F.

While it doesn't talk about MST regions it's clear from the config they don't set MSTP config-name or version and the default values for Aruba CX means each switch will end up as its own MST region. Looking at the output of the commands shown on the access layer CX switch you can see the 'regional root address' is the local access switch while the bridge address and designated root address is the aggregation/core. So whoever wrote this guide didn't design it so that you had a common MST region for all access switches and that each access layer switch would be it's own MST region. Either that or it's an oversight.

I did test this out in my lab with various loops created and it does work correctly with each switch as its own MST region. Rebooting am access switch didn't result in stability issues either.

With a non blocking VSX core/aggregation I was thinking that the multiple MST regions may be desirable over a common region? Make a mistake on one switch/stack in a common MST region and better chance of impacting the other switches in the same region?

Mauricio, I am using loop protection too now as there are some scenarios where it will add benefit. Loops in the access layer are the most likely situation.

Campbell Simpson

• 12.  RE: AOS-CX M-LAG & Spanning-tree flapping

Posted May 11, 2022 01:41 PM
    VSX is loop free.
    If your main concern is about loops in the access layer, have you ever thought about using loop protection in the access switches?

MAURICIO LOPES