View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Expand all | Collapse all

Support for host based tagged VLANs

This thread has been viewed 10 times
  • 1.  Support for host based tagged VLANs

Posted Dec 27, 2021 07:59 AM
    Hi,

We are setting up an Oracle Linux Virtual Machine environment (OLVM). OLVM supports host based tagging of the tagged VLANs. We need to accommodate more VLANs than there are physical ports. OLVM allows for the VLAN to be tagged by the host.

Will Aruba 8360 and 8325 switches support this?

OLVM supports Mode 4 (802.3ad) bonding: This mode creates aggregation groups that share the same speed and duplex settings, and it requires a switch that supports an IEEE 802.3ad dynamic link. Mode 4 uses all interfaces in the active aggregation group. 

Appreciate any advice.

Kind regards
    Andrew Rycroft

------------------------------
    Andrew Rycroft

• 2.  RE: Support for host based tagged VLANs

MVP GURU
    Posted Dec 27, 2021 01:17 PM
    Hello Andrew, yes... ArubaOS-CX OS based switch series (thus Aruba 8320, 8325 and 8360 just to name a few) support VLAN tagging: an (physical/logical) interface can operate in (a) access mode (allowing a native VLAN tagging only) or (b) trunk mode (allowing more than one VLAN tag).

For the second question, yes LAG (Link Aggregation Group) is normally supported and can be LACP (IEEE 802.3ad) or Static (Non-Protocol), the same is true for VSX LAG (someone call it Multi-Chassis LAG or MC-LAG), if you're dealing with VSX.

So, to summarize, you will be able to configure a LAG with VLAN tagging (operating as an access interface or as a trunk interface), the same can be done with a VSX LAG.

If you're connecting a physical server and you need to allow some (tagged) VLANs [*] you can do it both if you're dealing with a single physical interface or with a LAG logical interface.

[*] Consider that only one untagged VLAN is admitted while the number of tagged VLANs could be way more higher (and nobody will restrict you to have an interface allowing only tagged VLANs without allowing also an untagged VLAN), that's to say your scenario can be very custom but the basic rules apply.

Davide Poletto

• 3.  RE: Support for host based tagged VLANs

Posted Dec 27, 2021 02:04 PM
    I don't know if your OLVM setup uses something other than 802.1q, but I have used host based tagging on a Windows machine successfully, using an Intel network card I219-LM.  I had to install the Intel PROSet software though for VLAN support.  I'm guessing this will be more of a NIC/driver issue than a switch hardware issue.

• 4.  RE: Support for host based tagged VLANs

Posted Dec 27, 2021 02:04 PM
    I don't know if your OLVM setup uses something other than 802.1q, but I have used host based tagging on a Windows machine successfully, using an Intel network card I219-LM.  I had to install the Intel PROSet software though for VLAN support.  I'm guessing this will be more of a NIC/driver issue than a switch hardware issue.

--

Dennis Clark
    Director of Technology
    Technology Department
    Amethod Public Schools

c: 510.816-4803
    e: 
    DClark@amethodschools.org
    a: 2101 Livingston Street, Oakland, CA 94606