View Only
last person joined: 3 days ago 

Expand all | Collapse all

Adding switch member to a stack and restore factory default

This thread has been viewed 19 times
  • 1.  Adding switch member to a stack and restore factory default

Posted Jan 31, 2022 06:41 PM
    Hi there,

We've got Aruba 2930M stack of two (backplane stacking), and we would like to add another member to the stack.
    The output of show version :

Jun 7 2021 21:35:47
    WC.16.10.0015
    Boot Image: Primary
    Boot ROM Version: WC.17.02.0006
    Active Boot ROM: Primary

So, I've got the following questions please :

-I'm not sure of the current version of the new member yet, but I think the commander will either upgrade/downgrade the image of the new member...Is that correct? what's the best practice in this case.

-If the new member is successfully added the stack , I should only configure the interfaces (e.g 3/1-3/48) and not to worry about other configs such as VLANs, Management IP addresses ...etc, is that correct ?

-Lastly, I've got standalone Aruba 2920 48G Switch  that I need to do factory reset to it. What's the best way to do it ? 
    to use  Clear/Reset buttons or using the command erase all zeroize

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Adding switch member to a stack and restore factory default
    Best Answer

MVP GURU
    Posted Feb 01, 2022 11:58 AM
    Hi,

"I'm not of the current version of the new member yet, but I think the commander will either upgrade/downgrade the image of the new member...Is that correct? what's the best practice in this case."

Correct (the Stack Commander will force upgrade or downgrade).

Anyway it is generally recommended to keep the Switch (or the Stack) updated...so the scenario where the additional switch that is going to be added has the software newer than the one running on the Stack should be rarely seen (instead it happens probably often than expected as per your case).

My two cents: update the Aruba 2930M Backplane Stack first to (a) latest WC.16.10 build available (currently WC.16.10.0019) or (b) move directly to latest WC.16.11 build available (currently WC.16.11.0003).

"If the new member is successfully added the stack , I should only configure the interfaces (e.g 3/1-3/48) and not to worry about other configs such as VLANs, Management IP addresses ...etc, is that correct ?"

Correct. Ports of the third member will be prefixed with 3 (3/1, 3/2, 3/3 and so on...), you need to configure them to meet your needs. Other settings - such as defined VLAN IDs or Static Routes - belong to the whole Stack (are managed by the Commander).

"I've got standalone Aruba 2920 48G Switch  that I need to do factory reset to it. What's the best way to do it ? to use  Clear/Reset buttons or using the command erase all zeroize"

Go with zeroization (do it via Serial Console) and then you will be free to start configuring it from scratch.

------------------------------
    Davide Poletto
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Adding switch member to a stack and restore factory default

Posted Feb 02, 2022 06:41 AM
    As ever, thank you so much for your help David!

Just last question about the backplane stacking please.

According the documentation :
    "The recommended stack topology for the 2930M is a ring, in which every stack member has
    two available paths back to the commander (for 2-member stacks, both stack ports are used on
    each member; for 3+ members, each stack member is connected to two other members such
    that there is a continuous path connecting the entire stack). This ensures that the failure of any
    individual stacking link or member will not result in a stack split"

Would you please advise if my stack connection of 3 switches (as ring ) is correct ?
    Thanks

• 4.  RE: Adding switch member to a stack and restore factory default

MVP GURU
    Posted Feb 02, 2022 08:23 AM
    Hi Adam, the wiring you draw about the Three Backplane Stack members case deployed in a Ring Topology is correct.

The wiring about the Two Backplane Stack members case is correct too but it forms a Chain (it's basically a Chain made of Stacking Links aggregated together and not a Ring made of standalone Stacking Links looping each others).