Security

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

VIA Upgrades - Clients Revert back to Old Version

This thread has been viewed 11 times
  • 1.  VIA Upgrades - Clients Revert back to Old Version

Posted May 17, 2022 11:54 AM
    Curious if anyone has upgraded VIA clients in their environment via SCCM and had post-deployment issues.  We are upgrading to version 4.3.1, however after the first time connecting on 4.3.1, clients automatically downgrade and revert back to a very old 2.3.3 version.  One could make the argument that the controller may be playing a role if it has 2.3.3 installed on it (it shouldn't downgrade, only upgrade), but I've never uploaded a 2.3.3 install file. It is using the standard 2.1.1 that comes as a default when the controller is shipped.
    I've opened up TAC cases on this issue and the VIA logs show the version change, however there is no explanation as to why.  My hypothesis is that there may be stale registry entries from back in the day when we used 2.3.3 OR there is something referencing 2.3.3 in the SCCM script.  Our SCCM guys are adamant that their script is clean and references nothing but 4.3.1.  It's very perplexing. 
    I'm just very curious if anyone has seen this same issue.  Thanks!

• 2.  RE: VIA Upgrades - Clients Revert back to Old Version
    Best Answer

Posted May 19, 2022 11:22 AM
    We had similar problems.  Ours was due to end users no longer having enough privileges/rights on their workstations to install software/VIA client.  The process would start the installation by first uninstalling the old version, then determining the user did not have privileges to install the updated version and would back out of the install.  Therefore leaving the client with half an installed client.  I would suggest checking the user account or service account's permissions on the workstation.

------------------------------
    Jason Foix
    ------------------------------