Comware

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Expand all | Collapse all

3COM 5500 won't let you enter a username

This thread has been viewed 12 times
  • 1.  3COM 5500 won't let you enter a username

Posted May 17, 2022 01:02 PM
    When I power on my 3COM 5500 it boots up fine and I get the "Login Authentication" and Press ENTER to get started.. as soon as I press enter it asks for password. It won't let me enter a username. Is the switch corrupted or something?

------------------------------
    Mike Riethmiller

• 2.  RE: 3COM 5500 won't let you enter a username

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 17, 2022 01:15 PM
    Hi Mike,

Actually it is possible to configure "user-interface aux" with "authentication-mode password" command. In this case the session will be authenticated against the password set under the AUX port itself, like in this example:

<Sysname> system-view 
    [Sysname] user-interface aux 0 
    [Sysname-ui-aux0] authentication-mode password 
    [Sysname-ui-aux0] set authentication password simple 123 
    [Sysname-ui-aux0] user privilege level 2​

Unlike "authentication-mode scheme" which allows you to use local user database or remote authentication server like RADIUS and TACACS+. There you will definitely get a 'Username:' prompt before the 'Password:'

So here comes my question - are you sure this swith was working in a different way before, e.g. why is it unexpected to you? BTW, are we talking about console port connection (AUX port) or SSH/Telnet (VTY)?

Ivan Bondar

• 3.  RE: 3COM 5500 won't let you enter a username

Posted May 17, 2022 01:33 PM
    Hello Ivan,
    Thank you very much for the info!
    We were able to apply those steps to see the username prompt appear once again.
    Yes we were using a minicom serial connection.
    As to how this property was changed, I can't say for sure.  The few people who work on the switch hadn't altered any settings...

Mike Riethmiller

• 4.  RE: 3COM 5500 won't let you enter a username

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 17, 2022 02:16 PM
    From my experience such "mysterious" changes most often happen the following way - somebody changes the 'current-configuration' without saving it as 'saved-configuration'. Everything works for months and sometimes years until a power outage. Then device reboots loading an old 'saved-configuration' file that contains config nobody remembers about :-) 

BTW, what else could have happened - maybe somebody changed the 'saved-configuration' pointer... Check it with 'dir /all' command how many .cfg files are on the switch, maybe the old config that you are looking for is still there, but the 'saved-configuration' pointer (you can check it with 'display startup' command) points to the wrong file... Just guessing :)

Ivan Bondar